Why Do I Find It Scary When I Go Up To A Drop

onza_rip95

yeh mate you get nervous because you might hurt yourself , try small stuff and build up you confident.

what tecnique do you use?

thanks. Oh em I dont really have any tachniques. Why what do you suggest?

You have posted 9 topics today, no one wants to see your name filling up every topic on the NMC homepage.

Remember, its about Quality not Quantity.

Hey sorry for the posts and yeah I'll try and remember not to do so many

Thanks!

Most times when i go up to a drop i get scared and chicken out but all my friends can do it no-bother.

Is it just me??

couple of points,

*get good techniques and confidence by practising- start small and work up to bigger and bigger drops.

*If your going to go off something -do it- don't think about what could go wrong or what might happen, that's where the confidence comes in-knowing you'll be able to do it because you've done it time and time before, if you did you be wasting concentration which could lead to a mistake you've enough to think about subconsciously to do a drop without thinking about that.

*the bottom line from my view is, If your going to drop don't lose your bottle and just do it don't think about it, provided you've practised and got good technique for landings dialled you should have the confidence and you can just let instinct take over.

It might be easier to find a drop off that slopes up, so that each time you drop you can go bigger.

To drop off, position your back wheel at the edge of the drop, lower the front end off the drop until it's around level, and then let go of the back brake and roll off, landing to two wheels.

Lowering the front wheel sort of lowers the drop. Everything's got to go further if you don't do it.

the first technique i learned was just a two wheeled hop off a small drop

then endo side drop , those are prity easy to learn.

the most common technique i use is a pedal kick to the edge of the drop then a small pedal kick off, then as you get better let the front wheel drop a little first

i hope this helped :P

To drop off, position your back wheel at the edge of the drop, lower the front end off the drop until it's around level, and then let go of the back brake and roll off, landing to two wheels.

Lowering the front wheel sort of lowers the drop. Everything's got to go further if you don't do it.

Learn this later, it's easy to get wrong. When you're learning, just hop fowards until your rear axle is level with the edge of the drop, then drop the front wheel down as far as you dare (but not past where the bike is horizontal), and at the same time compress your body down into the bike, as the front wheel gets as low as you dare, release the rear brake and give a teeny rotation of the cranks, then the rear wheel will just plop off the edge of the wall, then extend your legs, pushing the rear wheel down towards the floor until your back is pretty much straight, and your legs are completely straight, arms a little bit bent, then as the rear wheel touches the floor you're in the right position to soak up the impact of the drop.

What this does is when your body starts accelerating downwards, and if you extend the rear wheel down below you, it effectively shortens the drop. Say the drop is 6 foot off the ground, if you just backhopped off the edge, it's a 6 foot drop, whereas if you compress your body down 1.5-2 feet first, then as the rear wheel drops off and your body starts to accelerate downwards, extend the rear wheel down another 2 feet, you can lessen the impact of the drop to one of 2 foot high.

Some people love them, I hate them yet they're pretty much the only thing I can do really well, the biggest I've done is about 5 foot. :lol:

Some people love them, I hate them yet they're pretty much the only thing I can do really well, the biggest I've done is about 5 foot.  :lol:

Hate to say this but in my opinion drops become different at around 6 foot. It is the first sort of height where you have any time to think while in the air, any lower and it is just one quick motion. That may just be me though.

I'm like this, I've yet to ride with someone who's less confident than me.

The only thing we can do is get are technique down and start small and work our way up. :(

I'm like this, I've yet to ride with someone who's less confident than me.

The only thing we can do is get are technique down and start small and work our way up. :(

Yeah your right, but from experience in downhill and dirtjumping in the long run this will generally make you a better rider

release the rear brake and give a teeny rotation of the cranks

Personally i find giving a good hard pedal kick works better for me. Rather than a short weaker one.

Also remember. When you land obviously be holding the rear brake. But dont hold the front one.

Try and roll away from the drop rather than just hiting the floor and stopping dead. Will help soak up the impact quite alot i find.