Chris King

josh barker

de build your wheel and send the hub to tarty, the service is £10 and if anything needs replasing then i think they let you know either by phoning or emailing. you can also send them the wheel but the postage will be dearer because of the larger package :). if you do this i would put a little note in the box to tell them what you want doing if anything specificly :)

de build your wheel and send the hub to tarty, the service is £10 and if anything needs replasing then i think they let you know either by phoning or emailing. you can also send them the wheel but the postage will be dearer because of the larger package :). if you do this i would put a little note in the box to tell them what you want doing if anything specificly :)

that is the worst idea ever, if im honest.

They are sooooooo simple to service yourself.

When it starts to skip?

If it ain't broke don't fix it. Depends if you ride in shitty conditions alot and how much you ride and all that.

like he said, i cleaned the ring drive on mine aprox 3 times in 7 years and it never skipped .

(cleaning the ring drive isnt realy a full service)

like he said, i cleaned the ring drive on mine aprox 3 times in 7 years and it never skipped .

(cleaning the ring drive isnt realy a full service)

Yea agreed it is so easy it doesn't do justice calling it a service but.....

"Beyond an occasional adjustment, the only maintenance necessary is cleaning, lubricating the RingDrive (see “The RingDrive”, pg. 12), and re-lubricating the bearings (see “Service of the bearings”, pg. 14). Riding conditions will determine how often to maintain your hubs. As a beginning guideline, your hubs should be maintained every 6-12 months in normal and dry conditions and every 3 months in wet or muddy conditions." (quoted from Chris king hub manual)

Edited by japslap

Im not 100% certain, but surely if a person is unsure about giving a hub a service...then its more than likely they are not compotent enough to carry out a full wheel build?!

(after they get thier hub back obviously)

+1 Matt for that comment

Yeah ask Reece (pogo) how that went for him :-

Tartybikes started off servicing king hubs, I think.

I'm on the side of if it's not broke, don't fix it. If it's not skipping and you service it, even taking the insides out could encourage it to skip.

I've heard that a dodgy wheel build can actually deform the hubshell a little bit which can encourage it to skip...

yeh, it came back from tarty skipping, it didnt even skip before he sent it off

To be fair to Tartybikes though, I imagine they've got a lot of satisfied CK service customers for Reece's problematic one. After all Adam Read pretty much pioneered the whole servicing with Finishline wet lube etc (or at least popularised it with that service video).

EDIT: I personally own a King and I used to service it roughly every 3-4 months. Got lazy in the past 2 years though but it hasn't really been a problem. Probably needs to be cleaned out soon though, it just gets a bit dirty in there, not gritty or anything, just... mucky?

Edited by Shaun H

Tartybikes started off servicing king hubs, I think.

I'm on the side of if it's not broke, don't fix it. If it's not skipping and you service it, even taking the insides out could encourage it to skip.

I've heard that a dodgy wheel build can actually deform the hubshell a little bit which can encourage it to skip...

If the wheel is over tensioned...or really abused, the hubshell can stretch causing the driveside bearing not to be seated properly, this can in turn lead to skipping. King do sell oversized replacement bearings in case this does happen.

that is the worst idea ever, if im honest.

They are sooooooo simple to service yourself.

yes but it is an easy option if you are struggling and do not know what to do, i no id rather a professional do it than me just so i know it works right, where as if i take mine apart i wouldnt have the slightest clue where to start.

yes but it is an easy option if you are struggling and do not know what to do, i no id rather a professional do it than me just so i know it works right, where as if i take mine apart i wouldnt have the slightest clue where to start.

Well if you really did want to do a quick drive ring service on it you could read the instructions with the link I've give you before http://chrisking.com/tech/tech_PDF But if you'd rather not chance it, (although it is the easiest thing to do yourself but if your not that competent with a couple of Allen keys (which is all it takes)) then Chris King them selves have directed me towards Bromley Bikes in Kent, as they operate a Chris King service centre in the UK, of course there's tarty bikes but reading this thread some people have had difficulties with hubs skipping, personally I've had Chris Kings for years and serviced them myself but I guess I must be lucky because they've never skipped on me, good luck

Edited by japslap