The Android Thread

Shaun H

Got myself an HTC Hero for my upgrade on Orange last week. Really happy with it so far, only thing I think it can't match up to on my gf's iPhone is the response on the typing although the guy in Phones4u told me there's an update that fixes this. Certainly no regrets considering how much money I nearly spent to get a 3GS :blink:

So how many others are there here with an Android phone? Favourite apps etc?

Still think its iphone>that thing :P

I'd agree in all honesty, but the Hero (and most other android phones) does everything the iPhone can, a few things better, a few things worse. The real deal breaker for me is the cost of the iPhone due to it's "exclusive" (everyone's got one now though!) and fashionable status compared to the real value of android phones.

Android will come on in leaps and bounds due to it's open source nature too, something the iPhone might not be able to match. I also enjoy not paying through the nose for apps or having to use iTunes or having shit battery life or having a brick in my pocket :P

I'd agree in all honesty, but the Hero (and most other android phones) does everything the iPhone can, a few things better, a few things worse. The real deal breaker for me is the cost of the iPhone due to it's "exclusive" (everyone's got one now though!) and fashionable status compared to the real value of android phones.

Android will come on in leaps and bounds due to it's open source nature too, something the iPhone might not be able to match. I also enjoy not paying through the nose for apps or having to use iTunes or having shit battery life or having a brick in my pocket :P

Jail brake, turn off 3g when not needed and it's not even that big :P only like a blackberry. Also itunes>anything else!

I've got a google G1, and I much prefer it to an I phone for one very important reason. When they made the I-phone, they forgot the buttons. I can do everything an I phone can do, and then when I want to write an E-mail/forum response/text, I just open up the keypad and write away. I really don't get on with writing on phone sized touchscreens.

Anyway, it seems good, nice and glitch free, reasonable battery life (3 days between charge's, with everything left on but not too much faffing with it) It's taken a beating, and it cost's me no more than a normal phone really.

Big thumbs up from me. (Y)

Edit: Also I prefer things like having as standard mini usb cable to charge it, which means it works with a Garmin satnav car charger and countless other things, so even though the the batery lifes nothing special, it never causes an issue, because there's always access to something that will charge it. Micro SD card's also keep things nice and cross compatible/expandable.

Edited by RobinJI

I've got a google G1, and I much prefer it to an I phone for one very important reason. When they made the I-phone, they forgot the buttons. I can do everything an I phone can do, and then when I want to write an E-mail/forum response/text, I just open up the keypad and write away. I really don't get on with writing on phone sized touchscreens.

Anyway, it seems good, nice and glitch free, reasonable battery life (3 days between charge's, with everything left on but not too much faffing with it) It's taken a beating, and it cost's me no more than a normal phone really.

Big thumbs up from me. (Y)

How the hell do you get 3 days battery life? my G1 struggles like a recovering alcoholic to get through the day!

Haha, dunno, it seems to manage it fine though. It was much worse when I first got it, but some of the recent updates must have helped a lot or something. It's not like I don't use it either, we've got Wi-Fi across my whole college campus, so I'm always on there, as well as the usual calls/texts.

Haha, dunno, it seems to manage it fine though. It was much worse when I first got it, but some of the recent updates must have helped a lot or something. It's not like I don't use it either, we've got Wi-Fi across my whole college campus, so I'm always on there, as well as the usual calls/texts.

Christ! im scared to even think about turning wifi on! :$ but i have to admit I'm not entirely happy with the phone, the only thing i like about it is the qwerty keyboard. Nothing else.

Edit: and i also hate texting lmao

Edited by l33th3tr33

I love my HTC Hero. But then I was using Windows Mobile 6.1 previously.

Yeah I had an Omnia with Windows before this. My missus got her iPhone a few days before I got my Hero so I've had the benefit of playing with them both and although I will admit the iPhone probably is a slightly better phone overall (in that it's a bit more "polished") I can't believe the amount of money you have to pay to get it compared to other phones. She got hers on friends and family discount off her brother so she's paying the same /month I am but for a crapper contract :huh: