Is It Normal For Disc Brakes To Make 'honking' Noises?

ryac

hey all,

I recently got a trials bike and both wheels use disc brakes. my rear wheel makes a honking sound when lightly pressing the brake. I heard it's normal for other types of brakes, but I thought I read somewhere that it's not normal for disc brakes. what do you think? is it normal or is something not set-up properly?

thanks for your help!

to my knowledge it is happening because there is some amount of rubbing going on. your pad is either set up to far in and hitting the rotor or your rotor is bent. if it is the latter you may be able to feel it performance wise. it may also be because you need new pads. to my knowledge thats the fix, but i am definitely not an expert.

Does the brake work properly? I've found they make massive amounts of noise when the caliper seals have and there is oil on everything. :P

But if it's just a kind of ringing, most of mine have done it, it's just down to whether the mount is face, how true the rotor is and how carefully the caliper has been shimmed out, my front one barely rubs at all, even with my home made +20 adapter on it.

alright thanks.

the brake seems to work fine, I'd suspect its some oil on the pads or rotor that is what's causing the noise.

is it ok to clean the rotor with light soap & water and dry thoroughly?

Nail varnish remover works far far better, just whatever you do make sure you wash everything off thoroughly.

hi there,it sounds like you have got oil or somthing else on your pads or disc ,my advice is to take out pads an sand them down an give your disc a good clean to any god bike cleaner will do the trick

yeah, that's probably it. it's not that horrible of a sound and they are working fine so I'll try cleaning it.

Nail varnish remover works far far better, just whatever you do make sure you wash everything off thoroughly.

thanks for the info.. I'll try this if I'm gonna clean them.