I Have Made My Own V-brake Booster

step

I`ve made my own brake booster. To be correct i have made the technical drawing and from a 100 mm AL plate the booster was milled.( i think that's the correct term)

It has been made at my father`s work place. The only mistake that i made was the holes i made them M5 but it was M6 .

Enough with the talk , here is the technical drawing , will post pictures of the booster in about 1 hour .

piesa2.png

asdxbxfgv7r90hgz479.jpg

y9g93kg5yqk5h26b3do.jpg

qbp31jiyxan0ebwjxecl.jpg

It fits on my rear i have tested it , but i didn`t take any pics with it on my bike. The bike is in pieces.

Opinions?

Edited by step

I can improve that drawing - get the holes cut to M6 :P

Yeah i noticed that too late , i have drilled them afterward to fit M6 bolts.

70mm clearance i assume you're running a skinny rear tyre then. Sorry the pics don't load for me so i cant see them :( from the drawing looks all good :)

I run a 2.30 tire. Tioga Factory DH

Make it better or design it better? It all depends on the tools available to you. The design is so basic there isn't much to improve without making it more complicated. I would make all the inside radii be the same dimension, that way you can use the same endmill for the entire inside cutout. Your drawing is complete, which is good. You haven't called out any tolerances anywhere on the drawing, however. Then again, when I made the unicycle frame pictured, I didn't make any drawings at all, let alone picking tolerances.

If you have a waterjet or laser rig available, then blank it out with that, and just deburr.

If you're using a manual milling machine (such as a bridgeport), there are a host of things you could do differently. Instead of doing a million punch marks (note, you only need two punch marks to define and scribe a line. The fewer the punch marks, the better), scribing, and complicated layout, just figure out the size of the rectangle you would need to make the part out of. Mill a chunk of aluminum to that shape. Then calculate the location of the center of each inside radius relative to two perpendicular edges of the rectangle. Drill a hole of twice the radius at each of these locations. Then use an endmill to mill between these points to remove the rest of the material. Do all of those operations in the same setup, without removing the part from the vise. For the outside radii, use a belt sander and a radius gauge, or a file.

It's a decent first machining project, but if you are careful you can do a much, much better job. Once you do so, mill out the middle of the part to thin the web (making a sort of I-beam section). This will do very little to reduce the strength, but will do plenty to improve the looks and reduce the weight.

Edited by Mod-out

It's a decent first machining project, but if you are careful you can do a much, much better job.

Thanks for the imput , as i have said in the first post i just did the drawing , the booster was made at my father`s work place. I wanted it plain and simple but any improvements for future projects are welcome.

As you can see it`s a V-Brake booster , soon i will get a 4 bolt frame and maybe i will make another booster to fit that. I can make it 2 bolt or 4 bolt.

I think the thickness is too much , 10mm plate. The plate was max 10mm , but the worker could cut it down to 7-8mm.

If you need more pics just tell.

Update , i have drilled 10 holes in the booster. 10 mm holes with a hand drill , only one hole is slighty offset. But i think it looks great. Now i have to sand it down and spray paint it.

And the pics:

23vxno8.jpg

20u4sbt.jpg

xo4bw8.jpg

1ox9af.jpg

aenmmf.png

Edited by step