Drilling Rims.

Smoby

OK, so basically, i need to know from beginning to end the process of drilling a rim.

I have trial-tech mod wheels, on trial-tech hubs, with 3 cross.

Things I need to know:

Do I have to do-build wheel?

What size would be effective yet strong?

Do i need special drill piece?

How do i measure distance?

Has anybody done this successfully before?

I have an old rim I'm going to try it out on first, but still hesitating about wanting to do it.

Thanks, Craig.

You can de-build the wheel but it will be annoying,but will make drilling alot easier.

I would use a 6mm or a 7mm then go over with a bigger one to countersunk it that looks good.

normal drill bits will be ok aswell.

You can drill every hole with like a 4mm first so you get it correct then go over it.

You could measure or just draw on the back of the rim where to drill.

Is the wheel the £45 onesfrom tartybikes the basic ones ?

OK, so basically, i need to know from beginning to end the process of drilling a rim.

I have trial-tech mod wheels, on trial-tech hubs, with 3 cross.

Things I need to know:

Do I have to do-build wheel?

What size would be effective yet strong?

Do i need special drill piece?

How do i measure distance?

Has anybody done this successfully before?

I have an old rim I'm going to try it out on first, but still hesitating about wanting to do it.

Thanks, Craig.

I once drilled out my halo combat rear wheel using a 20mm hole saw. I didnt bother de builing the rim as such all i did was got my rim which was is a double skined rim took the tyre and inertube off marked out the centre of the rim( 44mm divided by two ) gave me 22mm to the center . Then i measuerd from the center of the spoke nipple to the center of the next spoke nipple and dot punched and tiny divit into the rim to mark it out . I then used a 5 mm drill bit to go through the rim as a pilot hole. using a 20mm hole saw i then drilled out the rim in between every spoke apart from where the valve sits and the join in the rim. Mine came out perfect with no weakness to the rim what so ever . Just make sure you get all the metal shavings out of the rim before fitting the tyre and tube as these will puncture the tyre every time you ride. IM guessing that you can drill out any rim as long as its double skined. Single wall rims wont be as strong to start with so i would advise against this . But good luck with it .

post-24045-1264363758_thumb.jpg

Edited by scotty007

I once drilled out my halo combat rear wheel using a 20mm hole saw. I didnt bother de builing the rim as such all i did was got my rim which was is a double skined rim took the tyre and inertube off marked out the centre of the rim( 44mm divided by two ) gave me 22mm to the center . Then i measuerd from the center of the spoke nipple to the center of the next spoke nipple and dot punched and tiny divit into the rim to mark it out . I then used a 5 mm drill bit to go through the rim as a pilot hole. using a 20mm hole saw i then drilled out the rim in between every spoke apart from where the valve sits and the join in the rim. Mine came out perfect with no weakness to the rim what so ever . Just make sure you get all the metal shavings out of the rim before fitting the tyre and tube as these will puncture the tyre every time you ride. IM guessing that you can drill out any rim as long as its double skined. Single wall rims wont be as strong to start with so i would advise against this . But good luck with it .

Exactly how i did it on a my front DX32 rim, work fine no issues at all. Get a hole saw set which has a centre drill bit to, makes the whole process a whole lot easier.