Ground Rim With V Pads

would grinding your rim with v pads be ok ? would it make any difference ? i got pads that are like the inspired ones but not lol

chris

copied and pasted from the inspired v pads on tartybikes:

Recommended Use

Smooth or chrome rim, dry weather, with or without tar.

check out the pad reviews section to see if anyone had used the same pads with a grind, or just thier general opinion of them.

hey

i ran some of the ashima vee pads(clear) on the front with a black rim and they worked really good, but i had the same pads on rear maggy with a ground rim and found that they shredded realy quick and didnt bite as good, id personally wouldnt grind just from experiance but just my opinion.prob hold fire and see what other members say aswell.

hey

i ran some of the ashima vee pads(clear) on the front with a black rim and they worked really good, but i had the same pads on rear maggy with a ground rim and found that they shredded realy quick and didnt bite as good, id personally wouldnt grind just from experiance but just my opinion.prob hold fire and see what other members say aswell.

there the pads that i have got. very good but when the rim gets a bit wet and it is wet all the time at the moment they slip a bit and there on the back : / do you think if i got the avid lever with the red adjuster knob on it would it make a lot of difference ? and would maybe just getting a file and filing down the walls on the rim to get the paint off, would that make a difference ? wont be as harsh as a grind but would get rid of the paint.

i had them with a xtr setup with no grind so a avid lever are fairly similar setup wise and very adjustable,alot of years ago i ran which used to be the spanish fly pads on rear with avid 5 arms and lever with a light grind and worked well in wet just enough to disperse abit of water so prob go for a light gring first see what you think,get the pads dead flat and square to rim and they should do you good in wet

would grinding your rim with v pads be ok ? would it make any difference ? i got pads that are like the inspired ones but not lol

chris

I don't see why it would NOT be ok if you grinded rims with V-pads. I also grind my rims with V-pads and yes it does make a difference for sure. Cuz if you don't you won't get much grab and holding power from your brakes. i haven't had much problems from grinding with V-pads over the years.

hey

I don't see why it would NOT be ok if you grinded rims with V-pads. I also grind my rims with V-pads and yes it does make a difference for sure. Cuz if you don't you won't get much grab and holding power from your brakes. i haven't had much problems from grinding with V-pads over the years.

i think thats why?

have you checked the pad review section and found anyone with your pads? have you taken into consideration the recommendation from tarty bikes for what seems to be an identical pad?!

pad compounds these days vary so much...and are often created with a particular set up in mind. whether its a magura or a V on the pack, the same principle is happening...a rubber compound pushed onto the rim by an external force. im sure after checking out tarty's website, and looking through the pad reviews, you'll see that some pads are better suited to smooth rims and others for a grind (even then certain grinds work better than others)

i think thats why?

have you checked the pad review section and found anyone with your pads? have you taken into consideration the recommendation from tarty bikes for what seems to be an identical pad?!

pad compounds these days vary so much...and are often created with a particular set up in mind. whether its a magura or a V on the pack, the same principle is happening...a rubber compound pushed onto the rim by an external force. im sure after checking out tarty's website, and looking through the pad reviews, you'll see that some pads are better suited to smooth rims and others for a grind (even then certain grinds work better than others)

Thanks for pointing that out.

I actually was just responding to the original poster's question.

well i have have kind of ground my rim and did it a different way which was a big mistake lol i used a file for a real light grind and because i didnt have a grinder, it has made alot of difference, dont know how the pad wear wil be but it works well and i would say if your going to do it make sure you have a lot of spare time to do it because it took me about 3 1/2 hours lol

thanks for all your advice

chris

• 3 weeks later...

well i swaped my v now for a maggy which was a great swap which i couldnt refuse lol so i got a maggy on the back now and t needs some new pads but im going to go for the heatsink coust pads, look good on a video that i watched so im going to give them a go.

Shame you gave up on Vs , correctly set up they offer great braking . I use the inspired V pads on a pretty sharp grind good results ( slightly less so in wet weather ) and need to replace 'em every 4 months or so . Speaking of stopping - commas and full stops work well too occasionally .

ye kinda wish that i did keep it but the past is the past. Got my maggy working good now, i got some heatsink pads on it but thers quit a bit of flex but im guesing you can put a normal booster on them, if not please correct me if im wrong.

chris

Doesn't really matter...Magura, Vee or Disc they can all work damn well if set-up and maintained :)

Erm, yeh a normal 2 / 4 bolt booster will fit on there if the brake spacing will allow ( are the clamps too close together? measure the distance between the 2 top bolts ) IF they are really close you may have to just use 1 / 2 of the normal Evo boosters.