Skf Bb

TOBY-E

left a frame at my lbs yesterday, i. told them to swap the bb over to a new frame. they rang me today and said they cant put it in the new frame because it doesent have a lock ring on it.

So do they come with a lockring on or have they broke the bb.

i personaly thinck there there bull shiting me.

left a frame at my lbs yesterday, i. told them to swap the bb over to a new frame. they rang me today and said they cant put it in the new frame because it doesent have a lock ring on it.

So do they come with a lockring on or have they broke the bb.

i personaly thinck there there bull shiting me.

Did you leave it at aire valley?

Did you leave it at aire valley?

yea

no they dont come with a lockring just the two bb cups and a spacer washer for the non drive side.they dont use a normal spline bb tool but pretty sure they would have one to fit

yea ino thats why i took it in. i priced tools up they would be £40 for a crank puller, truvativ bb tool, and a shimano bb tool (for freewheel)

so have they f**ked it taking it out and bull shiting me?

edit: can one off the tarty lads confirm this please. so i can go kick off and demand a new bb

Edited by TOBY-E

yea

yea ino thats why i took it in. i priced tools up they would be £40 for a crank puller, truvativ bb tool, and a shimano bb tool (for freewheel)

so have they f**ked it taking it out and bull shiting me?

edit: can one off the tarty lads confirm this please. so i can go kick off and demand a new bb

Is the BB intact? I.E does it have the little tabs to take it out with still on both cups? IF not then they've snapped them off taking em out :)

Is the BB intact? I.E does it have the little tabs to take it out with still on both cups? IF not then they've snapped them off taking em out :)

its still in the shop. they rang me this morning and said there is no lockring on the bb so they cant fit it in the new frame. :ermm:

wa the frame faced when you put the bb in? if not i imagine the lockring would have either snapped off when you put it in or whilst riding. taking it out could also have snapped it off. but yeah its unusable now. the bike shop dont need to know about the frame not being faced, just blame them and get them to give you another

wa the frame faced when you put the bb in? if not i imagine the lockring would have either snapped off when you put it in or whilst riding. taking it out could also have snapped it off. but yeah its unusable now. the bike shop dont need to know about the frame not being faced, just blame them and get them to give you another

they said they wasnt one there to start with.

basically the things tabs on the side attacked to the threads are the lock rings, you need a middleburn lockring tool to do them up. if the frame isnt faced then these can snap off the threads. i have been through a couple of these doing that. infact the one in my frame at the moment is snapped but the bb is tight so im not too fussed, but it will be a pain to take out and will never go in another frame again. if this part has snapped off it will be completely unusable in another frame.

chances are they didnt break it, but if they are unfamiliar with the bb then chances are you can get away with blaming them. if you get another one, pay the 10-15 quid for them to face your frame

facing basically cuts off a tiny layer of paint on the frame so it it is a very flat surface. so the lockrings arent on an uneven surface causing them to snap off.