Gearing Questions

cornwall15

Hi there recently my echo free-hub has packet up, So i have cleaned it and made sure the paws are in engaged on the hub, then i got so metal glue (Alex Dark and others have told me its good so I used it) in the inside of my hub. Although this is well and good my free-hub has the weirdest back gear as it is a 14t. So i was wondering what is the best freewheel I should buy 16t? 18t?.

thanks Ollie

Stock yeah?

18/15 and 18/16 were popular last time i looked. I liked 18/15 or 18/14. Obviously if you're not restricted then you could use 22/18 etc

Anyhow. For stock with 14t rear 16t freewheel is the viable option. 18/14 is a tad heavy for most, but i roll ride more than i static ride.

You can get new sprockets for the Echo Freehubs can't you? Maybe just get a 15t then an 18t freewheel. Larger freewheel is way safer and more reliable generally.

Here they are. Swear they were much cheaper than that before.

Stock yeah?

18/15 and 18/16 were popular last time i looked. I liked 18/15 or 18/14. Obviously if you're not restricted then you could use 22/18 etc

Anyhow. For stock with 14t rear 16t freewheel is the viable option. 18/14 is a tad heavy for most, but i roll ride more than i static ride.

You can get new sprockets for the Echo Freehubs can't you? Maybe just get a 15t then an 18t freewheel. Larger freewheel is way safer and more reliable generally.

Hi i believe you cannot get echo free-hub sprocket changes and how would 14:16 be dangerous? if chain is tensioned wont matter will it?

thanks ollie

Stock yeah?

Also the free-hub has a cast steel sprocket with the paw holders and spring on it

I'm not familiar with the model you're on about then. This is the model i had:

echo_modfreehub_blk.jpg

It has a lockring to allow sprocket removal and change.

18t freewheel is better than 16t due to larger internals. Freewheels go under allot of stress so it's wise to use the best you can.