How Do I Add This Hdd To My System?

JTM

Right my current PC has a 250gb HDD sata (I think?) and I have a 200gb samsung IDE (ribbon cable and power plug?) that I want to add.

DSCF2056.jpg

DSCF2057.jpg

DSCF2059.jpg

What cables/adapters am I gonna need to fit this?

I had it working in the past by using the ribbon cable from one of the DVD drives, I copied all the files off the HDD and then removed it. I now need to leave it installed so obviously using the DVD drives ribbon cable isnt possible.

Any ideas? Thanks

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IDE-TO-SATA-100-133-HDD-CD-DVD-Converter-Adapter_W0QQitemZ390103502080QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL?hash=item5ad3fb0d00

I had the exact same problem, and ordered a few of these. I would order more than what you need though. I had 3, and one of them didn't work. For that price, you can't really grumble. Took a while to come (about 2 weeks) but its from Hong Kong, so thats to be expected.

This is assuming you have a SATA port free on your motherboard, which by the looks of the second picture, you do. You also need a spare power source for it (its the same as a floppy drive connector). The adaptor I got had the lead with it, but you still need to be able to plug it into one of the molex connectors. Its hard to judge by the pictures, but I'm not sure you have any free, so you might need a molex "Y" splitter.

What, apart from both the optical drives which quite clearly plug into the only IDE channel on the board?

hmm, eyes playing tricks on me.

In that case, what about a splitter? But then you need a slave and master plug thingies.

I have a asus one you can have like this sort of thing.

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.cablesdirect.com/prodimages/IDEHD-2_LR.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.cablesdirect.com/search_result3.asp%3FtxtKeyword%3DINT_Flat%26txtName%3DInternal%2520Flat%2520IDE%2520and%2520UltraIDE&usg=__FemWbv4mMVviEhPEAgX8cy1l3AY=&h=478&w=500&sz=88&hl=en&start=21&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=Yi6D8syVPHIQOM:&tbnh=124&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dduel%2Bide%2Bsplitter%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG%26tbs%3Disch:1

Any help atall?

He already has that exact cable. 2 optical drives going into 1 IDE channel.

The adaptor I orignally linked to is the only real option. Either that or a PCI card with SATA ports on it, but there's not really a lot of point, seeing as there is a spare SATA port on the motherboard.

He already has that exact cable. 2 optical drives going into 1 IDE channel.

The adaptor I orignally linked to is the only real option. Either that or a PCI card with SATA ports on it, but there's not really a lot of point, seeing as there is a spare SATA port on the motherboard.

Theres another problem in that due to where the HDD's are located, an adapter will need to be mounted remotely using a male-female ribbon cable as there isnt space for the adapter once the side of the case is on. I then will have to buy ANOTHER adapter Y splitter thing in order to get power to it. Grrrrrr.

I think ill just sacrifice one of the DVD drives. God knows why it has 2 anyways as Ive never even put a disk in the 2nd one.

All this has come to a halt though as last night I night I hit a blue screen of death when trying to download a crack for a program. Not been able to get on the bloody thing since. I need to get access to my HDD in order to getr all my pics etc off the bloody thing though grrrrrrr. Tried running an Ubuntu live cd to get access, and I do. But it doesnt actually let you make changes to hard drives etc.