Computer Help Needed!

Borat

Easy guys,

I am havig problems with my laptop.

Every now and then, it freezes, as in, I can move the mouse, but can't exit anything, use Ctrl Alt Delete etc etc. On my main account, 10-15mins

On the guest account, 25-30 mins.

I seems to freeze quicker when firefox is open. I'm not a n00b to computers, but it's really baffled me. I have checked for malware with malwarbytes, and spyware etc with AVG9.

I am using an IBM Thinkpad T-60, 3 gigs of ram, 1.84ghz cpu. Ati Mobility Readon x1300...

What could you computer wizz kids reccomend to do?

Thanks, Jack.

Edited by Borat

That will have no effect on it crashing all the time, it crashes because there's something wrong with the OS, or a piece of hardware is dieing/damaged.

I know im trying to establish what process is running to maybe shed more light on a specific piece of hardware. How long has the OS been on there, previous formats?

Well I'm guessing it isn't hardware, because normally it will simply BSOD and reboot to try and prevent damage to the other components.

If it was me I'd just format it now, I've always found when things like this go wrong, you can almost never save it.

Well I'm guessing it isn't hardware, because normally it will simply BSOD and reboot to try and prevent damage to the other components.

If it was me I'd just format it now, I've always found when things like this go wrong, you can almost never save it.

Not always if the process needed to run can't and mb wont be able to force either. Either way i would still format, and before installing with windows again, bios flash, update and run pc check on al processes. Thats what we do for our units we produce for the military etc.

Just to second Muel really, you could spend many, many frustrating hours trying to find the source of the problem, or just wipe it and start fresh in about 2 hours - plus everything else will run a lot smoothly too.

Have you checked in the Administrator Tools > Event Log and look at the System logs. Leave the system to lock up and note the time, go back to the log and look for any indiction of errors or warnings prior and during the freeze, do a print screen and copy it into here. If you see 'Application Hang' then it's a piece of software that's causing the crash (which my bet is on).