Rear Wheel Hops

jack c

try different ways of doing it. you could either do it from a wheelie, or from a trackstand throw your weight back and kick on the pedal to help the front wheel up.

then its just practice :)

i found it very frustrating at first, but when i got them dialled it was really good, just keep at it... all you can do is improve :D

There is two ways of doing them.

Pre loading your cranks, and then kicking your front wheel up, locking the back brake which catches you.

or

When your in the upright backhop position, you can keep your brake locked and literally just bounce using mini hops to balance there.

When your in the upright backhop position, you can keep your brake locked and literally just bounce using mini hops to balance there.

When first starting I used biggish hops because if you dont balance too good the bike will fall in any direction, so I needed a big hop to compensate.. ;)

hi i really recomend the endoing way its really helpes me.

and if your having trouble learning tricks and stuff like that then u should go on to www.tartybikes.co.uk and get one of their dvds called Koxx trial lessons, its £23 and extremly helpfull.

WHen learning how to do rear wheel hops i found the easyest way to practise was on a gental slope . This gives you chance to learn the correct technique and balance required to keep the front end of the bike at a sustainable level. Also when trying back wheel hops on a gental slope there is less chance of taking an unexoected trip over and off the back off your bike as the back wheel can only role back down the bank lowering the front wheel.

Hope this helps please let me know if you try this technique and if it works for you.

Start with the "endo method"- lock both brakes, rock your body and bike forwards thus lifting the rear wheel slightly. when going back down, spring lightly backwards to bring the back up. elbows should be straight or only slightly bent . dont use your arms to lift the front- its the weight shifting that does that.

slowly go higher, till you find the bike's tipping point and get comfy with it.

then, add a small hop when you get to that tipping point. slightly pull the bars towards you and spring. brakes still locked. this should cause you hop backwards. seems dumb, but its a great practice.

then, when you're all done with that, move on to something more practical like hopping to rear using a pedal kick. lock front brakes, kick the pedals, strong foot forward, until you end up on the rear wheel with the same body position as before. then the trick is to get a few of those. this comes pretty naturally once you got the first kick and you're fairly relaxed on it.

Goodluck.