Painted Rims

Box

Which offers better braking performance; a smooth non-painted rim or a painted rim (also smooth)?

I've grinded a painted one down because the brake was a bit crap, but it's now hideously loud. I've also stuck some new pads on my old bike (smooth, non painted rim) which is now stopping brilliantly and silently. Just wondering if I should have left the rim with the paint on...

If you have a smooth metal rim and a painted rim, i dont think there would be much difernece,

The metal rim could be slightly better as the piant could be flexing a little bit, but such a small amount you really wouldnt notice it,

A grinded rim so it isnt smooth will help braking performance though,

I suggest you watch these three videos,

Grind ...

Pads ...

Set Up ...

They should help you alot !!!!!

Sam :D

Which offers better braking performance; a smooth non-painted rim or a painted rim (also smooth)?

I've grinded a painted one down because the brake was a bit crap, but it's now hideously loud. I've also stuck some new pads on my old bike (smooth, non painted rim) which is now stopping brilliantly and silently. Just wondering if I should have left the rim with the paint on...

Giving it a grind helps alot. paint or no paint will never beat a grind :)