Split Link Problems

mint_jay

I have a small problem with the split link on the chain.

When the split link moves through the front sprocket, it catches on the bashring slightly causing the chain to skip.

Can anyone help with a solution? Would filing it down slightly, help?

Cheers

I've been riding 4 years, whenever I've snapped a chain with the split link in, it's the split link that snaps. Say what you like but to me, that shows the split link is the weakest part of a chain. :P

Yeah to be honest it's a personal thing - if you're running chains long enough/harshly enough to kill them then you need to work out what the problem is for you or replace them more often.

There's always going to be the guys that snap split links, halflinks etc and those that snap standard links. I've only ever had a chain snap once and it went at a standard link. That's around 8 years of running chains with split links...

This comes up every time someone mentions the words "split link" though haha :P

I've been riding 4 years, whenever I've snapped a chain with the split link in, it's the split link that snaps. Say what you like but to me, that shows the split link is the weakest part of a chain. :P

true +1

whenever ive snapped a chain, its always been the split link.

now i dont run one, and just use a normal link instead. havent snapped it so far lol