Big Disk Brakes

rtfletcher

Hey there guys,

I have just bought myself a set of Clim8 6pot disk brakes with 8" rotors.

They look like good brakes for trials as they will have plenty of stopping and holding power without having to put in too much effort on the lever.

They also have 3 different diameter pistons on each side, so the brakes can be applied gradually by(the smallest first).

These both seem like good features, and they were cheap as chips, so i went ahead and bought them.

I am just wondering will there be any drawbacks from these brakes other than the obvious weight penalty?

Thanks in advance

Ryan

As there quite big im affraid to say that theres a fair chance that there gunna get damaged by being hit on somthing. For instance comming up short on side hops or slipping off a balance beam. Other than this though there probally going to do you the world of good :rolleyes:

I haven't had too many problems whacking rotors or callipers to be honest...but:

• The larger rotors will exert more force on your forks likely causing them to crack sooner than if a smaller, say 6" rotor is used. This completely depends on your style and ability though
  • The Clim8 brakes are aimed at XC/ freeride and so probably won't have the bite and hold that we require in trials....again depending on your riding style though.
  • The larger the rotor the more brake there is to hit basically...
  • Triple pot systems are only really of any advantage when going downhill fast and heating the brakes...because the heat is spread across all three pistons it's less likely to heat up so much that brake fade is incurred.
  • The larger rotor will obviously weigh more than the smaller one...along with the adaptor.

Hey there guys,

I have just bought myself a set of Clim8 6pot disk brakes with 8" rotors.

They look like good brakes for trials as they will have plenty of stopping and holding power without having to put in too much effort on the lever.

They also have 3 different diameter pistons on each side, so the brakes can be applied gradually by(the smallest first).

These both seem like good features, and they were cheap as chips, so i went ahead and bought them.

I am just wondering will there be any drawbacks from these brakes other than the obvious weight penalty?

Thanks in advance

Ryan

i never really care about weight (unless its on the major stuff i.e. frame wheel etc) but they will weigh a tonne the clim8 also don't brake as good as most the other companies out there even the gustav's from magura work better and they were practically hated by everyone except for cedric gracia hence why you can get brand new sets for dirt cheap £120 for front an rear inc rotors etc is the most i have seen the clim8's fetch in shop's

stick em on ebay

i never really care about weight (unless its on the major stuff i.e. frame wheel etc) but they will weigh a tonne the clim8 also don't brake as good as most the other companies out there even the gustav's from magura work better and they were practically hated by everyone except for cedric gracia hence why you can get brand new sets for dirt cheap £120 for front an rear inc rotors etc is the most i have seen the clim8's fetch in shop's

stick em on ebay

Hey guys,

Thanks for clearing that up for me, I now have the bike part built and just about rideable!!! So i have had a little test ride with the brakes on. They seem to hold well and are easy to control for pedalkicks, so for now i think ill stick with them!!!

More than likely i will smash them at somepoint, ill just cross that bridge when i get there!!!

Ideally i would use maggies, but the Maggie mount on the rear is F****D!!!!! and have disk only forks!!!

Guess when buying a bike on the cheap you have to make these sacrifices!!!!

Thanks again guys :D

Ryan

I'd be carefull with big brakes to be honest mate. I used a 180mm Hope Mono Trials front brake on my 20", it bent the disc mount on a set of Echo Urban forks and a set of Try-all Forx. I've since swapped that brake for a 160mm.