Stem Geometry.

So much to learn and understand but I do enjoy the intricacies of understanding bike geometry. So going back to my topic.

What does length and rise do for a trials rider? I'm 172cm and what would be a good place to start for a noob? I'm no Ape nor am I a T-Rex....just average arm length. :D

My Monty 219 Kamel came with a 100mm stem and I estimate the rise at 20-25deg. I might be able to exchange the stem to a 150mm with similar rise if I go back and and get a swap from the shop. But I ought to do that as soon as possible as I just collected the bike a couple of days back.

BTW, I'm from Malaysia and trials is quiet here as compared to the large market of mountain biking. Riding trials here is somewhat like asking you guys in UK to play American football instead of rugby...hahaha.

If you can experiment yourself. Then you'll know what suits you. Also remove/ add stackers for a cheap and easy way to find some height. You will find some stems with different angles and length are actually the same as adding or removing stackers. Do the work on some paper and you'll see :)

Also a change in other parts could potentially make you stem feel different to what is was before. Change one thing at a time.