My Bike, And A Few Questions

B0LT0N

Hey everyone. First time poster as you can all probably see. I bought a mod Saracen mad 2.zero and i haven't changed much at all as i've only had it for 3 weeks, i got it from a friend of mine for £50. All Ive done is tighten a few things etc, just performed some maintenance on it and put a 2 finger lever on the left for the back brake. I am having a problem though, when i pedal say after being on one wheel and just after i land it and start to pedal off, it pedals as if there is no chain attached, you know where there is no resistance but you don't go anywhere either, it feels like that but if it rolls along for a tiny bit the bike fixes its self and i can pedal again. Sometimes it happens while I'm on one tire and although i haven't been injured yet it can be VERY dangerous. Does anyone know what this is? Also the picture of my pedal: Do you think i need to purchase a new pair? As my feet frequently slip off it, or could it be my footwear? But i never had this problem on a mountain bike? And finally if you see the picture of my chain, it is sagging a bit and its a half link chain i think. So should i look into buying a new chain too?

pedald.th.jpg

chain.th.jpg

sideaq.th.jpg

Sorry for the essay it's just the questions that no one i know has the answers too. Any help towards becoming a full member would be appreciated too. If I'm allowed to ask?

Thanks

When you pedal and it doesn't go anywhere means that your freewheel is knackered and you need a new one.

Your chain is not a half link, just tension it and ride it till it dies,

As for the pedals they look ok to me.

Hope this helps you out mate.

Edited by rab shropshire

When you pedal and it doesn't go anywhere means that your freewheel is knackered and you need a new one.

Your chain is not a half link, just tension it and ride it till it dies,

As for the pedals they look ok to me.

Hope this helps you out mate.

Hey, i thought it was a freewheel problem damn cheapest one on tartybikes.co.uk is £39 i paid £50 for the bike haha. Do you know if i can get one cheaper? Or can you reccomend any places? Cheers. My pedals, well the pins on them aren't sharp and 'tall' anymore, they are small and rounded off which is obviously a wearing problem. So shall i get new pedals too? Plus whats a chain tensioner?

Thanks for the help.

Edited by B0LT0N

You can get cheaper freewheels on ebay like the shimano or dicta freewheel, but they are not very safe for trials usage, once you get validated on here you should be able to get a second hand one for a reasonable price.

Just looked at your pics and your bike doesnt have any chain tugs, so unless you want to buy some you will need to move the wheel backwards in your frame until the chain is tensioned correctly. But make sure that you move the axle evenly on both side.

You can get cheaper freewheels on ebay like the shimano or dicta freewheel, but they are not very safe for trials usage, once you get validated on here you should be able to get a second hand one for a reasonable price.

Just looked at your pics and your bike doesnt have any chain tugs, so unless you want to buy some you will need to move the wheel backwards in your frame until the chain is tensioned correctly. But make sure that you move the axle evenly on both side.

Right, and where would i post asking for one? Once i'm a full member.

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/product.php?product_id=170&category_id=8

What about those for chain tugs? £7 for a pair, also what does a tight chain do for me?

Cheers

Get an ACS claws mate, i got mine for a tenner off ebay. you will want a 18t

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ACS-Claw-18t-Tooth-Trials-Freewheel-cromo-Silver-BNIB-/350355905122?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item5192d6da62

This, is it hard to change? and what does 18t mean?

I know i sound like a right idiot but oh well lol, we all start somewhere, right?

Right, and where would i post asking for one? Once i'm a full member.

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/product.php?product_id=170&category_id=8

What about those for chain tugs? £7 for a pair, also what does a tight chain do for me?

Cheers

my mates got them and they are nice for the money, a tighter chain mean it feels more responsive to moving the wheel= easier to uses=improve faster.

You would post in the wanted section, or browse the forsale section

Those chain tugs will be fine, a tensioned chain will stop your chain skipping and will make your chain/cogs last longer. (but dont make it too tight

edit: beaten to it lol

Edited by rab shropshire

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ACS-Claw-18t-Tooth-Trials-Freewheel-cromo-Silver-BNIB-/350355905122?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item5192d6da62

I know i sound like a right idiot but oh well lol, we all start somewhere, right?

18t means 18 tooths on it and because your bike is a mod most bikes use a 18t freewheel. its not hard to change, take back wheel of, get yourself a freewheel remover, unscrew it and take it completely, and then screw the new one on.

Edited by trials owns

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item5192d6da62

18t is how many teeth the freewheel has, its easy to remove but you might need a freewheel tool to do the job and they're available here.

If you ring tartys to order one they can give you advice on how to remove it or watch their video guide which is very good here.

If you're unsure about a few things its worth watching all their video guides just as a bit of a heads up!

Hope this helps!!

my mates got them and they are nice for the money, a tighter chain mean it feels more responsive to moving the wheel= easier to uses=improve faster.

Right, are they easy to add? Will they fit on my mod?

You would post in the wanted section, or browse the forsale section

Those chain tugs will be fine, a tensioned chain will stop your chain skipping and will make your chain/cogs last longer. (but dont make it too tight

edit: beaten to it lol

Cheers, how do i know when it will be tight enough?

18t means 18 tooths on it and because your bike is a mod most bikes use a 18t freewheel. its not hard to change, take back wheel of, get yourself a freewheel remover, unscrew it and take it completely, and then screw the new one on.

Right. Thanks

18t is how many teeth the freewheel has, its easy to remove but you might need a freewheel tool to do the job and they're available here.

If you ring tartys to order one they can give you advice on how to remove it or watch their video guide which is very good here.

If you're unsure about a few things its worth watching all their video guides just as a bit of a heads up!

Hope this helps!!

Oh right, thanks for that :)

Cheers for the advice everyone! Its much appreciated

yep chain tugs are easy to fit, put the wheel into your frame and before you put the axel bolts on put the chain tugs in and make sure the end bit that u can screw fits on the end of the frame, leave them lose thought, do this on both sides, pull the wheel back as far as possible without force, tighten the axel bolts. once done this tighten the screw on the chain tugs evenly untill it fits nicely on your frame. tighten them bit by bit evenly then the chain will get tighter.

sorry for the long writing that may be a bit confusing but its really simple to put them on.

now if its tight enough, when you push the cranks forwards there should be very little slack in the chain, if to tight the rear wheel will be hard to roll back.

Thought you might like to know I've given you a validation vote, whilst contributing absolutely nothing to your topic.

Haha, well you did contribute in a way. Cheers though! :D

Bolton :)

When we painting it?

Got your maggies yet? :lol:

Bonser!

Lol i need to get some stuff for it first and that

I think you should post some pictures of your old school beast :P

Or your dirt jumper lmao