Tarty Days 2010

Bronz

Yeah there was something (I have no idea what) wrong with her camera which caused a shed-load of images to be out of focus regardless of shutter speeds (she spent ages experimenting with various settings and whatnot). Agreed on the flash though. She needs to start broadening her kit I think :)

Focus and shutter speed are unrelated. This shot is in focus, but has motion blur...

My bad. I know nothing about photography but was under the impression that a higher shutter speed would help in reducing blur (particularly in action shots). Or is my terminology wrong?

Edited by Bronz

My bad. I know nothing about photography but was under the impression that a higher shutter speed would help in reducing blur (particularly in action shots). Or is my terminology wrong?

There's a difference between blur and focus. These two shots are relatively slow shutter speed (I think 1/80th and 1/125th of second respectively) but are in focus:

viper-pan-80.jpg

ducati-side-pan.jpg

Sometimes you want a bit of blur to give a sense of motion or speed.

An out of focus shot would have the background (or foreground) in focus, but every part of the rider (or subject) soft. Not just blurred, but actually soft.

• 5 weeks later...