Brake Help Needed.

Jord

Hey Guys.

I have only had about 7 hours ride time on my bike. So can't do much it terms of tricks. But i don't feel my brakes help. As im not the lightest of riders. And they just don't seem to have the bite i feel they should.

I had a quick ride on my mates Onza Blade and the brakes are instant, immense stopping power from the touch.

We have both got the standard brake set ups. So he has disc up front and rim at rear. i have rim front and rear.

Ive had a little play with them. Macskill stylee. With a bit of wood. And a piece of metal bar. :D Got them to Bite better for a while. Then they fade off.

The Pads seem to have a lot of life in them. But another mate reckons i need to buy some of these Pads

Is there any Tricks or Hints. That i can do? To get the best out of my pads before i buy some better ones?

Thanks Jord :D.

yo,

have u got a hs33 on the rear or is it a v brake?

what pads have u got? if they are standard magura blacks they are rubbish and dont feel strong so would recomend better pads if you have got them.

also a wobbley wheel will make the braking feel less sharp.

EDIT ha it is hs33.

Edited by trials owns

Ive had a little play with them. Macskill stylee. With a bit of wood. And a piece of metal bar. :D Got them to Bite better for a while. Then they fade off.

He's trying to straighten his rim when he does that, you've probably just buggered them by attacking them :rolleyes:

If it's the standard set up, that will probably be why they're useless at the mo

Get some better pads (CNC backed pads for the absolute win) and a grind on your rims

also, make sure you set your pads up properly, have a look at the video on the tartybikes site

I have the standard setup. As far as im aware.

Its proper weird. On the front.

Its got adjusters. But the left pad (Which doesn't move as much as the other) but is dead close to the wheel. Where as the Right pad is like 5-6mm away. But if i adjust it. The left one grips :S

I didn't attack them. I did a trackside fix. :P

The Caliper wasnt landing flush. So i moved it round with the bar.

Then i pulled the lever in. Moving the pad out. Then put a little bit of wood between the pad backing and caliper. Pushing the pad out enough.

I have the standard setup. As far as im aware.

Its proper weird. On the front.

Its got adjusters. But the left pad (Which doesn't move as much as the other) but is dead close to the wheel. Where as the Right pad is like 5-6mm away. But if i adjust it. The left one grips :S

I didn't attack them. I did a trackside fix. :P

The Caliper wasnt landing flush. So i moved it round with the bar.

Then i pulled the lever in. Moving the pad out. Then put a little bit of wood between the pad backing and caliper. Pushing the pad out enough.

Sounds like you have a lazy piston, or a badly bled brake, Both pads should move the same amount at the same speed at the same time, Or there abouts.

As for your trackside fix, you might just end up ruining your brakes doing things like that, follow the video and set them up properly, Only takes 5 minutes and will make a world of difference in reducing slipping :)

Sounds like you have a lazy piston, or a badly bled brake, Both pads should move the same amount at the same speed at the same time, Or there abouts.

---Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks. Will 'borrow' some Spray grease tomorrow from work and have a look. :)

As for your trackside fix, you might just end up ruining your brakes doing things like that, follow the video and set them up properly, Only takes 5 minutes and will make a world of difference in reducing slipping :)

---Which video?

And i know. But i was out riding. and i had no tools. And i was like 45 mins away from home in the car :/

This one:

http://tartybikes.co.uk/media.php?group=guides&id=3

Careful what grease you use, Some grease will eat the seals on your pistons.

GT85 or other silicone lube will be okay, don't get it on your pads though

You should take a riding bag out with some tools in, The amount of times I've carried my bike home because something's bust that I don't have a simple tool to fix it with, and I can't ride it or wheel it home... (N)

This one:

http://tartybikes.co.uk/media.php?group=guides&id=3

Careful what grease you use, Some grease will eat the seals on your pistons.

GT85 or other silicone lube will be okay, don't get it on your pads though

You should take a riding bag out with some tools in, The amount of times I've carried my bike home because something's bust that I don't have a simple tool to fix it with, and I can't ride it or wheel it home... (N)

Good vid. Thanks :D will set them up proper tomorrow.

Will that AutoSmart Lubrice (Spray grease with PTFE) be ok?