Onza Ice For My First Bike?

I'm interested in starting trial biking. ive been offered an Onza Ice 2 for my first bike. Do you think its an ok bike to learn on?

Or should I buy a short bike because I heard that short frames was better to learn on and this put me off getting this bike. I really want a trails bike and the Onza looks really good, So what do you guys think of this for my first bike?

Thanks in advance. Luis

I'm interested in starting trial biking. ive been offered an Onza Ice 2 for my first bike. Do you think its an ok bike to learn on?

Or should I buy a short bike because I heard that short frames was better to learn on and this put me off getting this bike. I really want a trails bike and the Onza looks really good, So what do you guys think of this for my first bike?

Thanks in advance. Luis

Longer frames are more agile on the back wheel, they are also better for pedal kicking which is the main skill in trials biking. The ICE is a really nice bike and looks pretty well made so i would say it should be fine for you.

Just bear in mind that you're going to be making lots of mistakes, and your first bike will take a beating. Most people prefer to go with a cheaper, perhaps tougher frame at the beginning but if it's a good deal then by all means go for it :)

Right i would say you should go for an older one too. If you are anything like me i HATE scratching my bike. Im glad i started on a cheap bike. Get a cheap bike. Smash it to bits when learning, there is no need to worry about your first bike because it will get wrecked. When you better in around 6 months get a new bike. The onza ice and then you wont scratch as much. However there is no preventing scratches. Its trials. Its going to happen. But at the end of the day its down to you. Spend decent money on a decent bike and wreck it. OR spend little money on a half decent bike and not need to worry about damaging it. Then buy a decent bike a ride well with minimul scratches.

Then go for it I guess.

Just make sure you have two chainstay protectors on both sides.

http://tartybikes.co.uk/product.php?product_id=2020

And also make up a down tube protector like what I did. I cut up my old tyre and cable tied it around, works like a beast, it has saved me from scratches several times.

I never advise getting a long bike as your first bike, well not unless you ONLY want to be good at hopping rather than riding a bike. A short bike will let you do more (bunnyhops, spins, manuals) which I know isn't what a lot of people would class as vital stuff, but trust me, it will make a better all-round rider in the long run.

• Like 1

I never advise getting a long bike as your first bike, well not unless you ONLY want to be good at hopping rather than riding a bike. A short bike will let you do more (bunnyhops, spins, manuals) which I know isn't what a lot of people would class as vital stuff, but trust me, it will make a better all-round rider in the long run.

Exactly what I was going to say. Longs limit your riding so so much, I mean i can manual and spin my long bike but only from years of exp. on a shorter bike.

I know some one who had an onza ice.

He had quite an bad setup but it felt alright to ride still.

I think that you should get it, they are very nice.

and if you are too worried about scratched then buy some chainstay protectors and the new carbon fibre downtube protector from Tarties.

I wouldnt get a onza ice as a first bike if i were you because you will probly bash it about allot and you will be gutted if its got loads of dents and cracks in it, if i were you i would get a da bomb or a onza t bird or something like that because they are pretty cheap and it doesnt really matter if you put a few dents in it.

matt.

Just bear in mind that you're going to be making lots of mistakes, and your first bike will take a beating. Most people prefer to go with a cheaper, perhaps tougher frame at the beginning but if it's a good deal then by all means go for it :)

My mate owned a mission prodigy, he wasn't great on it, at all :-

Then he was offered an Echo lite, got it and is so much better, so people say get a cheap starter bike, but with a better bike you will probably learn better.

And mate, if you have the money for an onza ice, get it, its such a nice bike. Buy it, buy it, buy it!

Kieran ;) .

IMO bikes with high BB is for advanced riders...

I have a high BB rise... :lol:

Erm, from what everyones saying it probably best to get a different starter bike, but everybody, if you really think about it, are you actualy going to be a learner for long?

And once you progress and get good, you're gonna need more money to buy a new one, when you could just buy and ice and you wouldn'y need a new one, but i have never rode an ice so i don't know how it feels or whatever.....

Kieran.

RIght heres what i think you shuld do. Buy the ice because by the sounds of it its a great deal, then also if you have the cash buy like a £70 da bomb or something along them lines off ebay. Then what you should do is practise stuff that your not so confident you can do on th ice on the other bike, then when you have a few crashes it wont matter. When your more confident with a move try and transfer off the cheap bike onto the ice this way you will be able to strectch your skills on that particular obstical with out scraching and denting your frame.

Oh and P.S dont listen tothe haters, there ust jealouse the cant get that kind of deal. :giggle:

Ashes.

if you really think about it, are you actualy going to be a learner for long?

When do you ever stop learning in trials? Ok, you master a trick but then you progress and learn how to do that trick bigger, or learn how to do more creative lines. Trials is all about learning, so your answer to that question is NO.