Avid Bb7

Jonny Jones

I've just installed a front Avid BB7 (185mm rotor) on my Ashton, but at the moment its incredibly spongey! I'm using an Avid SD7 lever. I've heard that using a Linear brake cable helps out loads (Si Sagar can vouch for this for BMX's he used etc), can anybody on here say they've used a linear cable on their Trials bike? I feel I may also need to use a spacer or something for the caliper as it seems a tad wonky looking downwards on the brake... although having said this, surely when you loosen the bolts, put the brake on and tighten the bolts up during installation is meant to get the caliper's position just right? Any advice would be much appreciated! :)

Jonny.

I've just installed a front Avid BB7 (185mm rotor) on my Ashton, but at the moment its incredibly spongey! I'm using an Avid SD7 lever. I've heard that using a Linear brake cable helps out loads (Si Sagar can vouch for this for BMX's he used etc), can anybody on here say they've used a linear cable on their Trials bike? I feel I may also need to use a spacer or something for the caliper as it seems a tad wonky looking downwards on the brake... although having said this, surely when you loosen the bolts, put the brake on and tighten the bolts up during installation is meant to get the caliper's position just right? Any advice would be much appreciated! :)

Jonny.

My uncle's got a spongy avid i think and it was fine after a while. Needs to bed in aswell, so give it time. Personally i like the feel of a spongy disk brake as it doesnt affect the power does it?

Where abouts do you have the adjuster pin on the lever? Furthest position from the bars makes it less spongey and closest makes it more spongey.

Also, i always find using a new cable for the first time it will stretch a little with the first few hours of riding and need adjusting again anyway. I'm using an odyssey linear slic now on the bb7 and compared to the wilko's cables i've had before it's slightly stiffer, though not massively. The only really obvious plus side is the fact the odyssey cable doesn't tighten if the bars spin round.

• Like 1

I have no idea why, but if you wind the barrel adjuster right out on your lever when you set it up, it feels much better!

Read that on here ages ago, and tried it on mine and it made a noticeabe difference.

Also, make sure the rotor is just brushing the inner pad, and when you pull the lever the other one moves over to 'clamp' it. The amount of disc brakes i've seen set-up where the outer pod has to push the rotor over to brake... nasty way of doing it!

Edit: My front set-up is a 203mm rotor (overkill!) normal cable, and a Shimano XTR lever. It's hardly spongey at all!

I have no idea why, but if you wind the barrel adjuster right out on your lever when you set it up, it feels much better!

Read that on here ages ago, and tried it on mine and it made a noticeabe difference.

Also, make sure the rotor is just brushing the inner pad, and when you pull the lever the other one moves over to 'clamp' it. The amount of disc brakes i've seen set-up where the outer pod has to push the rotor over to brake... nasty way of doing it!

Edit: My front set-up is a 203mm rotor (overkill!) normal cable, and a Shimano XTR lever. It's hardly spongey at all!

Cheers mate :) I'll have a fiddle, with the brake, that is :P

I've always found that they get less spongey the more you use them. Whether it's something to do with the spring/pistons or something, or whether it's to do with it bedding in. Just give it a while and it should sort itself out. Is it the new graphite-y colour caliper? Or the older grey/brown one?