Q: Steerer Tube Replacement

SiTrials

The story...

Lets cut back to NASS 2003 at Shepton Mallet, 2 weekends previous i had won the trials comp at the Peterborough show, I had treated myself to a new set of Fatty Rs the weekend in between in time for shepton mallet event. anyway I was finishing my heat coming down off the big tower into the quarter we had built I landed and collided with then a good mate of mine. Anyhoo me on the nice lightweight pace against then a hefty steel curtis! you can sort of guess what happenend my new fattys less than a week old bent backwards not the ally though the steel steerer tube, so my forks were trashed! I felt like crying then!

And iwas clearing my shed out the other day and found these fattys looked at them a bit closer and found the steerer is pressed in not bonded they had been given such a knock the steerer had started to come out so i gave the steerer a bit of knock with the old persuader to see if i can get it to budge some more and it did to a point where it wouldn't move anymore.

So i guess the question is does anybody know of anywhere i might be able to get the steerer tube replaced on these truly awesome old school forks?

Pretty sure there is a pin through the steerer (at the back maybe?). If so, might be worth drilling that out, you can always put a bolt and nut back in afterwards (Y)

Not sure you can get replacement steerers for those forks that easily though... :(

Its annoying cause i love Fattys and these a really good, bar the steerer!

I will have a look for that pin you suggested

cheers Adam.

The steerer is bonded into the crown, but if that fails it's very easy to put a bolt through (there are some holes there already). I don't think they have a bolt / pin as standard? Anyway as Adam says, the difficult part would be to get a spare steerer. Then getting both sets unbonded might be a challenge also, but I suspect there are ways around that.

• 2 weeks later...

The steerer is bonded into the crown, but if that fails it's very easy to put a bolt through (there are some holes there already). I don't think they have a bolt / pin as standard? Anyway as Adam says, the difficult part would be to get a spare steerer. Then getting both sets unbonded might be a challenge also, but I suspect there are ways around that.

There's a dowel in the fattys - I drilled mine out so my headlock would fit through. When I reverted to a star-nut, the steerer started to pull out of the forks, so I had to put a bolt through it.