Will This Ram Be Ok For My System?

JTM

I need a 2gb stick of ram for my PC. Using the crucial memory tester thing, I need a stick that is:

-DDR2 memory with support for DDR2 PC2-5300, DDR2 PC2-6400 speeds

-Your system does not support dual channel.

-Your system does not support ECC

With that in mind, and the fact that my other stick of memory (a 1gb stick) is Corsair, will this be ok:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/158366

And if not can anyone advise?

Do you definately need more RAM? I hear people say this all the time to try and make their computer faster, and actually it does absolutely nothing to the speed of the computer, it just gives it more space to work:

You are the processor, working on something. The RAM is the work bench. If you have a massive work bench, you can lay everything out and work at your maximum speed, if you run out of work bench space, you have to start putting things on the floor, which slows you down.

A computer works in the same way, the processor works as fast as it can on something all the time until the task is complete, if it has the RAM space, it's fine, if it runs out of RAM, it has to started transferring data to the hard drive for tempory storage to a place called the page file.

Having work bench far bigger than you need won't make you work faster, but having a work bench any smaller than you need, and you'll work a lot slower.

Also, having large amounts of slow ram means you can work on large items on your large work bench, but if you're working on smaller items, you'd be better with a smaller amount of faster ram, then you have a smaller workbench, but can transfer the items you're working on to the workbench faster, so it will get through a large amount of small items faster than the large amount of slow RAM option.

With that in mind, do you really need it? Have you had task mamanger open on the performance tab while doing whatever RAM intensive tasks it is you're doing?

You'd be better off using matching sticks so you'll enable dual channel.

Sounds like any PC5300 or PC6400 ram will work though, I'd use CPU-Z to find the motherboard and look it up on the manufacturers webiste though, to see if you can run anything higher, 1066mhz for example. :)

Personally, I'd get a matching stick of whatever you already have. 1x2gb should be fine for every day stuff, and a single 1gb stick of DDR2 PC-5300 can be had for under £15 on ebay.

If you need more, I'd go straight to 4gb (2 of those sticks you posted). Always sticking to Dual Channel is a good plan IMO.