What's The Point Of The Onza Rip?

isitafox

This is possibly quite a bit random but I was just having a boredom browse of Tartybikes and the full build bikes and it struck me, what is the point of the Onza Rip?

Why make a mod that takes a 20" wheel other than to be awkward. There probably is a very good reason for it but I can't figure out what it might be, surely it can't be to do with keeping it cheap as it means making a rear tyre and rim specifically for the job. Why not just make it a 19" rear, it could still just stick with V mounts as they can do the job just as well as maggies or a disc! I don't know why but it really seems to grate me, especially when you get new members coming on here asking what they should upgrade first only to be told to sell the bike they've probably only just bought, I know I'd have been gutted if I bought one only to find I'd have to sell it and start all over again.

Thoughts??

Onza can just use the existing front tyre/rim combo to keep costs down.

And as already said, weight is a big issue for some.

Yep thats right, like smaller sized people might not be able to handle the bigger tyres as easy as the small, just helps the little people out and on low prices :)[

Onza can just use the existing front tyre/rim combo to keep costs down.

And as already said, weight is a big issue for some. They wouldn't have done it just to be awkward.

But they don't use the existing front tyre, it runs a 20 x 2.4 tyre. Just seems a bit odd as I'm sure the weight saved can't be that much, might send one of the Poyzers an email to ask.

Cost - having 2x 20" wheels is the cheapest way to make an entry level bike. Many customers already say that £349 is quite a lot for an entry level bike, so if they have to spent over £400 it would make the sport look very difficult to get into.

Ah ok.

So would this be a good bike for my kid to upgrade to as it were. He's getting a bit big for 18" but still to0 small for a 'normal mod'.

Sounds a candidate for the new Sting. Similar spec to Rip but shorter frame, Shorter stem and narrower bars. Very limited stock should be in just Pre- Christmas.

I would also confirm Adams comments. !9" rims and tyres are considerably more expensive than 20". We are having an extraordinarily difficult job at the moment doing the specs for 2011. No major changes but prices in the far east are rocketing (Maxxis are up 25%) It is critical for us to have a competitive starter bike and we constantly strive to keep the price low but it gets more and more difficult.

Sounds a candidate for the new Sting. Similar spec to Rip but shorter frame, Shorter stem and narrower bars. Very limited stock should be in just Pre- Christmas.

I would also confirm Adams comments. !9" rims and tyres are considerably more expensive than 20". We are having an extraordinarily difficult job at the moment doing the specs for 2011. No major changes but prices in the far east are rocketing (Maxxis are up 25%) It is critical for us to have a competitive starter bike and we constantly strive to keep the price low but it gets more and more difficult.

Thanks for the info Mike, would never have thought that an extra inch would make all that difference!

Edited by isitafox

Ah ok.

So would this be a good bike for my kid to upgrade to as it were. He's getting a bit big for 18" but still to0 small for a 'normal mod'.

If your looking at the next size bike up from an 18" you need a short mod with 20" wheels front & rear.

My son Adam is 8 and is on a Monty 207 which is ideal. A normal mod would be way too big & heavy for him.

Other options would be an Echo kid or maybe the new Onza but I've not seen that yet.