M.a.d Phases

Mr_Unbalanced

I ride a M.A.D. Phase 1.2, it's got 26" inch wheels, and I paid £150 for it from the FS section on here.

I've not been riding long, but I'd say it's decent to learn on, started learning how to stay on the back wheel lately, but my back brake needs a bleed and the weather's crap so it's on hold :P

And there's competition-level riders who ride Phases, so I'd say it's decent for higher level stuff as well.

Edited by Ninja Manatee

If you can get one, they're pretty ideal bikes to ride! I'd go for the 1.2, and spend the cash you'd save on a safe rear hub/freewheel and decent pads front & rear. (It comes with Magura black pads and a shimano rear hub that's not ideal for any real trials use)

Mike and I ride for MAD, so obviously were going at there great bikes, but in all fairness they are great bikes. As standard you will want to change the rear hub to something like a hope pro 2 or a fixed hub and change the cranks to run a front freewheel.

Mike runs a hope pro 2 on his and I ran a front freewheel. As for the brake pads, well there is plenty of choice available. I would recommend Phat Pads, but if they are out of your budget, then try Tartybikes, they have a good range of pads.

The phase bikes are old now so you can pick them up at bargain prices, just search online.

As for are they good starter bikes, well yes they, if you go for the 1.2 it comes as standard with a pair of magura hs33 brakes and a trials set up. They are fully capable of being ridden by a new rider or an experienced.

Just check out pictures and videos of myself, Mike and the rest of the MAD team riding them.

I personally wouldn't pay more for the 1.1 one, you get same brakes, essentially better cranks and different bar and stem. Most of us preferred the the bar and stem from the 1.2. There's not a lot of difference between the two, as Mike said your best of saving some money and spend it on improving the rear hub and brake pads of the 1.2

• 1 month later...

Winstanley cycles google it and there on there for £250, I recently bought one as my first stock only problem is with the gears, phatmike because you ride one can I ride it without a tensioner? They are pretty sweet bikes personally I think the bars could do with being a bit higher but it's not that much of a problem. As for 1.1 or 1.2 the choice is yours £50 because it's White

Good luck geez :)

Winstanley cycles google it and there on there for £250, I recently bought one as my first stock only problem is with the gears, phatmike because you ride one can I ride it without a tensioner? They are pretty sweet bikes personally I think the bars could do with being a bit higher but it's not that much of a problem. As for 1.1 or 1.2 the choice is yours £50 because it's White

Good luck geez :)

I told you this in another thread, you can ride without one but it would be annoying after about 10 seconds.

• 1 month later...

I ride there lowest 1.3 had it for some time now great bike I have done loads of changes check my pics out. They are great for beginners but can take a real beating. I would say to get the 1.2 or 1.1 as they have magura mounts. ( thats where I went wrong )

But look around. They are good and well recognised.