Trials Info + Onza Zoot 24" (Purchase)

stephenmx50

Hi Guys,

Just getting into trials after mainly Dirt jumping/Downhill riding. Looking to purchase a Zoot 24" (dont really want an "out and out" trials bike as i like street riding to) does any one have one to give me some info on the below..

1. Is it much harder to do trials tricks (rear wheel hops, kicks etc) on a 24" as apposed to a "true" trials bike? hopefully its easier than on a 26" dirt jumper..??

2. what brake upgrade options would be good for the Zoot? i beleive i would need new hubs to put disc brakes on?

3. any other "needed" upgardes...?

Also if anyone has a used Zoot for sale i would be very intrested, before i go out and pay full bucks for one!

Thanks for the help, great forum by the way, loads of info!! :rolleyes:

1. Definitely easier than a 26" jump bike! It's never going to be as good as a pure trials frame, but equally it allows you to do a lot more (Y)

2. The standard brakes are pretty good anyway - if you need to improve them then you could try some softer/stickier pads and that should solve it. If you wanted to go for a disc setup then yeah, new hubs would be needed.

3. You shouldn't really need to immediately change anything else. The bar and stem are pretty neutral, so if you wanted to go for more BMXy style moves then a shorter/higher stem would be cool, and if you want to improve it's trials ability then a slightly longer stem would be a good choice.

Taps, Gaps and Side hops (TGS) are generally harder on a 24inch bike with street geometry its do able but harder that a bike with geometry for this, hops and pedals kicks are basically the same really its just that you have to do them in a slightly different way. The brakes on the Zoot are good just get the rims grinded and some good pads, but if you want to spend a bit of money on Maguras or a Discs go for it it can't hurt. You will need new hubs though, just go for a front disc and either keep the V at the back or get a Magura rim brake and get a Disc wheel for the front.

Thanks for your help guys, really good info! I was glade to see you think it will be easier doing rear wheel hops etc on a zoot than my dirt jump bike, I'm reasonably ok at basics on a bike ( can wheelie as far as I want etc..) but have been really struggling trying to rear wheel hop on the dirt jumper, hopefully I can master it on the zoot..?!

Anyone know of best places (I.e price) to get a zoot?

Thanks again!!