Whats The M.a.d. Phase Lie?

thorn2403

hi all,

I want to start trials riding but am unclear as a suitable bike to start of with. At the moment i have GT Chucker dirt jump bike, which probably isn't the best for this kind of riding.

What i want to know: Is the M.A.D. Phase 1.1 suitable for a beginner (http://www.2x2worldwide.com/07RangePhase/PHASE-1-1.html)

The bike has an RRP of £750 but is avaiable for ~£350 and as far as i can tell has pretty decent parts, but i figured I'd see what you guys thought since you probably know more about it then i do.

thanks in advance

I had the 1.3 and it's one of the nicest frames i've ridden.

Your best bet would be to get the 1.2 and use the money you save to get a decent hub and brake pads.

Ok thanks for the help,

I've replaced v-brake pads before but i noticed that they have hydraulic rim brakes, how much harder is it to replace the pads on these? Simliar question with the hub.

Also i notice that most trials bikes run single speed, so would you recommend loosing the geers?

It's easier to replace HS33 pads, they literally just pop off of the cylinders.

As for the hub try to find a second hand wheel off ebay or here when you're validated. A good idea would be to find a wheel with a Hope Pro2 trials edition hub.

Single-speed is definitely the way forward decreases weight and less maintenance needed on a whole. You can buy single speed kits pretty cheap and rig your mech to be a chain tensioner.

It's easier to replace HS33 pads, they literally just pop off of the cylinders.

As for the hub try to find a second hand wheel off ebay or here when you're validated. A good idea would be to find a wheel with a Hope Pro2 trials edition hub.

Single-speed is definitely the way forward decreases weight and less maintenance needed on a whole. You can buy single speed kits pretty cheap and rig your mech to be a chain tensioner.

Thanks again,

How much would it cost to make these changes?

Also i've been doing a bit of research and 20" seem to be very popular, Am i correct in thinking that 20" and 26" are best used for different things? if so, can you advise me to there benefits?

Thanks again,

How much would it cost to make these changes?

Also i've been doing a bit of research and 20" seem to be very popular, Am i correct in thinking that 20" and 26" are best used for different things? if so, can you advise me to there benefits?

Hey, 20" (also known 'mods') are easier for begginers to learn on.

To change the hub and brake pads would be about £50 for a good hub, and £30 at the most for good pads. Get heatsink or phatpads, they are pretty awesome.

To change the hub and brake pads would be about £50 for a good hub, and £30 at the most for good pads. Get heatsink or phatpads, they are pretty awesome.

ok, as a begginer i'll have a look out for a Mod,

is there one that any of you can reccommend for about the same price as the M.A.D.? (£300)

thanks

Not true, they're both an equal. Coming from a 26" jump bike you'd have no problems with the MAD 26s.

Get out on some local rides, ride both 20 and 26 inch bikes (and 24s if anyone rides one locally) and see what you like best.

As for your 300 pound budget, keep an eye on ebay or the classifieds on here - you'll get an absolute cracker for that price with a lot of top of the range parts. Second hand trials bikes are very cheap, all things considered.

Edited by Skoze
  • Like 1

They have seat's because they are traditionally a cross between trials and street/bmx style riding. they are ridden more distance effectively and ridden at skate parks and trails as well as round the street. 20" and 26" are aimed more for trials street and trials natural riding, very different to what 24" is aimed at.

Not true, they're both an equal. Coming from a 26" jump bike you'd have no problems with the MAD 26s.

Get out on some local rides, ride both 20 and 26 inch bikes (and 24s if anyone rides one locally) and see what you like best.

As for your 300 pound budget, keep an eye on ebay or the classifieds on here - you'll get an absolute cracker for that price with a lot of top of the range parts. Second hand trials bikes are very cheap, all things considered.

How tall are you, if your 6ft or even a little less you might find a mod simply induces ultimate backache?!?

How tall are you, if your 6ft or even a little less you might find a mod simply induces ultimate backache?!?

I rode a mod back in 2006, loved it. Only changed back to stock because I loved taps and other moves that a mod can not do. Either bike will play havoc with your back, I think it's down to the riding position.

Not so much from riding around, but from actual riding. Look at rider's body positions from taps to rear, tucks on sidehops and other moves, the rider's body isn't in the best position to do their back any good. So either way, your kind of doing your self in.

Possible preventatives would be do some real stretches to warm up and warm down, and maybe gym work for your back.

They have seat's because they are traditionally a cross between trials and street/bmx style riding. they are ridden more distance effectively and ridden at skate parks and trails as well as round the street. 20" and 26" are aimed more for trials street and trials natural riding, very different to what 24" is aimed at.

In that case, can anybody recommend a decent 24" bike?

thanks

6'3".

Having said that, i was about 5 n' a half when i rode a short (1065) 05 Pitbull, Got on alright when i actually ride it :)

As for 24"s, anything over 1030wb doesn't count, but Inspireds are a good bet as an all-rounder.

Have a look second hand, anything you get will be good to play and learn on, but between 1020 and 1040 wheelbase is probably best if you want to be chucking it around, some of the other 24"s that've been made purely to jump on the bandwagon have some fairly colourful geo's....

Look in the second hand, there's an Ashton Eddie Tongue which i don't think has sold - these literally started the 24" movement years before inspireds were about, really good fun bike (my Leeson is almost identical to an ET in the geometry department and it just feels so right to ride) Fun and well worth the £300 ono the guy was after for it - a little fragile but for a beginner you'd be set. Just keep an eye out and be patient, you'll find something.

As for 24"s, anything over 1030wb doesn't count, but Inspireds are a good bet as an all-rounder.

Have a look second hand, anything you get will be good to play and learn on, but between 1020 and 1040 wheelbase is probably best if you want to be chucking it around, some of the other 24"s that've been made purely to jump on the bandwagon have some fairly colourful geo's....

ok now im confused :S

you've seaid anything over 1030 doesnt count and then said that between 1020 and 1040 are best

So true. It bugs me how everyone dives on the "mods for beginners" bandwagon.

It's what suits the rider, keeping in mind that the distance from the BB to the handlebar is pretty much the same for mod and stock.

EDIT: I see things have moved on in this thread. should really read to the bottom.

Edited by xDUNSTANx