What Next?

iamtheferryman

hey hey,

i have just started trials and so far i can trackstand on the flat and put my front wheel wherever i please be it on top of a low wall or on the side of a high wall,

What should i be learning/attempting next?

i can just about hop on the back wheel off a wall but then i lose balance and the front drops like a lead ballon.

any advice welcomed

cheers

james

• Like 1

hey hey,

i have just started trials and so far i can trackstand on the flat and put my front wheel wherever i please be it on top of a low wall or on the side of a high wall,

What should i be learning/attempting next?

i can just about hop on the back wheel off a wall but then i lose balance and the front drops like a lead ballon.

any advice welcomed

cheers

james

You should practice your rear wheel hops until they feel more controlled before you hop off anything too high :)

I'd say go for track standing next and combine it with rocking. Try riding narrow lines for overall balance. Maybe try roll ups, some static hops, 180s for the feel of the bike. Of course main thing is rear wheel hops. Balance, skill and smoothness comes overtime, stick more to the ground now. Dropping off something will come easy once you advance, no need to rush it. Stay safe! ;)

Yep get your backhops nailed next, it's the basis of a lot of trials stuff so you'll need it though you may find it a bit harder to learn on your frame as I think there's no bottom bracket rise. That means when your backhopping your weight will be quite far forward which in turn will lead to the front wheel dropping so easily when you drop off something. Your best bet is learning to backhop on a slight hill, the angle of the ground will help you to get your weight more central over the rear wheel.

thanks guys

some real sound advice and unlike most things you guys really are consderate to the fact its easy to try big stuff and hurt yourself

isitafox.....your right my weight does seem up on the front of the bike, i am not really sure if the bike is really set up for a tall rider and i am riding it as i bought it.

hoping to meet up with a few guys on friday hopfully they will be able to see what needs to be changed i am thinking higher bars.

another question.....why would the chain slip? had it happen yesterday and my god a pedal to the shins hurts.

also what size rear sprocket would i want to be learning with on my onza hitman?

cheers

james

In my opinion I agree with most of the suggestions you should practice your back wheel balance until you have it dominated the your range of movements will amplify a lot you will notice what amazing things you can do with your back wheel :rolleyes:

Stem and bars set up is usually the key to comfortable ride. Most common gear ratio for stock is 18/15, but that doesn't mean you should stick to that 100%. Keep in mind that lenght of cranks is also a matter of pedaling feel. Many people post asking which set up is the best, what i have learnt is that you have to test it yourself. My set ups work for me, but that doesn't mean they'll diffinitely work for you. Slip matter - dunno if that's so easy to answer over the internet. Ask some people on friday. I'm sure when they see you and your bike, it will be easier to suggest something.

thanks guys

some real sound advice and unlike most things you guys really are consderate to the fact its easy to try big stuff and hurt yourself

isitafox.....your right my weight does seem up on the front of the bike, i am not really sure if the bike is really set up for a tall rider and i am riding it as i bought it.

hoping to meet up with a few guys on friday hopfully they will be able to see what needs to be changed i am thinking higher bars.

another question.....why would the chain slip? had it happen yesterday and my god a pedal to the shins hurts.

also what size rear sprocket would i want to be learning with on my onza hitman?

cheers

james

Not sure what the front end setup is but if it hasn't got risers investing in some would be a good idea. As for the chain slippage at a guess I'd say it's down to not enough chain wrap on the rear cog and the chain not being tight enough. It's a bit harder to get this right with gears so you could do with a single speed kit and chain tensioner, if your front cog is 22t I think you'll be needing a 18t at the rear to get the right ratio (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Hope this helps you a bit dude!!

cheers guys

i will be looking into getting some risers they seem to be a good idea,

as for the chain i noticed i had hit the spring on the tensioner into a new position which left it weak, put it back problem solved.

may go for the ss idea just because it looks a lot neater and out of the way.

cheers again

james