Underwater Compact Camera

Willy

Suppppp,

So I'm In Australia and have been for 2 months, been free diving quite abit in Byron and down to Coffs and am getting really sick of not having a camera to take with me. My compact is a Canon IXUS 960 IS and is pretty much spot on for every day photos of partying and the odd profile picture of awesomenes, my problem as I'm sure you aware is this thing isnt in anyway shape or form waterproof, so does anyone in there all knowing godly knowledge know anything about underwater compacts? If so can you recommend one, point me in the right direction to read about them properly, or just straight up tell me where to get a decent waterproof case that wont f**k image quality. I know that cases excist but the ones I've used are cheap and shitty and make the photos look like I've pissed on the camera.

Chose not to take the DLSR as in Canada I never really used it due to it being to big, sure its awesome to have but who the f**k can be arsed to lug that thing around when all you want to do is ski, or in my case surf...

HELP!

erm i did a load of looking into them in the summer, ended up with a pentax w80, there was a slightly better w series available for not much more, but they didnt have it in stock, think i payed £105 for it.

reasons for the choice(i also own a 20d slr, so hopefully we aint miles off on what your expecting)

1) its incredibly simple to use, ok so it doesnt have very many settings etc, but to me, having a camera like this that does everything for you is better, as i know if i could adjust stuff i would, which would mean taking gloves off on the piste/diving down again to take pics, and your holiday should be about having fun, not losing fingers due to hypothermia to get that picture just right for you to upload it to facebook to show your friends how boring their life is and have it ruin the image quality anyway. can also be used with gloves,and theres not loads of buttons to mash

2) its small and robust, if it dont fit in the pocket easily, its not really a compact which was the issue with some of the camera, most of its made from aluminium and it has rubber corners.

3) the 720p video on the pentax was significantly better than that on the similar priced olympus, sony models etc. some of the others looked choppy or washed out(even though they wer supposedly 30fps, you could see the jerkiness of the videos)

4) its blue, i like blue things.

I've got a Cannon G10 with the Cannon UW housing for it. It wasn't cheap (was about £500 in total 2 yrs ago) but is pretty decent.

The G11 is out now but I don't know how good it is. The case is ok to a depth of 40m.

Do you do any depth freediving? I did the Triple Depth competition in Egypt this year, was awesome :) Oh I love freediving (Y)