Hd King + Snail Cams

Jon Alty

Are there any snail cams that will fit a chris king with fun bolts that dont need to be modified (preferably run on the inside of the frame but no neccessary)?

Also does the dimension of a pair of forks affect the feel of the front end much? Im looking at getting a new pair, should i pay much attention to the dimensions, or just go for a pair with a good reputation, at a good price, that look decent? Obviously different rake etc will affect the wheel base, but is it significant?

Thanks in advance for help.

As far as im aware there are no snail cams designed to be run with Kings.

They have to be modified by filing out the centre. Im running a king on the rear of my Speedrace Fans stock and its all fine. Only running one cam on the drive side as to not expand the frame too much (Y)

Forks do affect the ride of the bike. Mainly due to their length. A tall fork will slacken the head angle and raise the bb slightly as a low fork will do the opposate

Cant comment on the king but fork rake wont differ much if your going from a good brand to another. The only massive difference you'd notice would be if you had something like onza forks (they have a massive rake) to something like a set of echos. Even then the difference would be for the better and would improve the ride. All in all I'd say not too much difference, and you'll be used to it in half hour :)

Surely the easiest way would just be to get any old cams and drill a 12mm hole in them?

Please note that you will not be able to drill the Echo Chro-Moly cams as they are hardened. That is unless you have access to a heat treat capable oven (luckily I'm chummy with the uni metallurgist!).

Please note that you will not be able to drill the Echo Chro-Moly cams as they are hardened. That is unless you have access to a heat treat capable oven (luckily I'm chummy with the uni metallurgist!).

I'm so tempted to actually try and do this and prove you wrong. How can one not be able to drill through a 3mm sheet of steel?

I'm so tempted to actually try and do this and prove you wrong. How can one not be able to drill through a 3mm sheet of steel?

That's what I thought when I popped over to the technicians to ask them to drill it out for me! But after regrinding a 12mm bit 5 times and each time getting about a micron deeper it was clear it wasn't worth ruining several drill bits over.

If you DO manage to drill through them though, they're great cams!