Disk Brake

Jimbob 2705

Hi Guys,

I have just bought a bike and the rear disk brake is rubbish. Can't find a make on it, I think it is just a cheap brake.

The rear brake doesn't work hardly at all. It isn't anything special (the brake), but it should at least work. I have tried and tried to set it up well, but I can't seem to.

I would try and buy new pads to see if that improved it but I can't find any which looks like they would fit.

How do I adjust the brake so it performs well? (If that is even possible).

If I hold both brakes in, I can rock on the front, but can't go on the back wheel as the back brake won't hold it, that is how bad it is.

Also, does anyone know of a cheap but decent brake?

Thanks

James

Edited by Jimbob 2705

Just picked up some 2nd hand BB5, It says they come with adapters to fit a 160mm Rotar, which my bike has (160mm Rotar).

How do I fit them and set them up?

Also, where is the best place to get a rear brake cable? What size/length or can you cut it too length?

Thanks

Edited by Jimbob 2705

Should bolt straight onto the frame by the looks of it?

160mm rotor yeah?

Yeh 160mm Rotor.

Problem is :

If you look at the brake currently on the bike, you will see that it the bolts go 90 degrees to the actual brake pads (or where the brake disk goes). On the BB5's the adapter/fixing thing goes inline with the brake pads (or where the brake disk goes).

It's like I need a 90 degree adapter or something?

Thanks

I didn't explain it very well so here are some photos :

Picture 1) I am holding it as it would be mounted onto the frame. As you can see the gap for the disk brake doesn't line up.

Picture 2) This is how it should look when fitted to the bike (or similar). It is like I need a 90 degree adapter?

Does this help explain? :lol:

Thanks

post-25927-0-24999400-1298745060_thumb.j

post-25927-0-50345600-1298745071_thumb.j

use the adapter from the old caliper ....

I'm sure that the adapter goes the same was as the frame, so it doesn't turn it 90 degrees, I will take the old brake off and have a look.

Thanks!

I'm sure that the adapter goes the same was as the frame, so it doesn't turn it 90 degrees, I will take the old brake off and have a look.

Thanks!

Look at the 1st picture on Post 19!

Thanks

Avid brakes are Post mount, but come with adapters that change it to IS mount. - Which is what's on the brake now!

So the caliper is different to your old one, but with the adapter in place, it should just bolt straight onto the frame as it is now? - Can't quite get my head around what the problem is?