Motivation

Scott Gibbs

At the moment im the only rider in town and im finding it hard to get off my arse and go out! I got to a point in my learning where i was progressing quite and now i've grown stagnent. Does anyone have the same problem or any advice would be great.

im in the same shoes, its so annoying!

I think it's important not to force yourself to ride at the point where it's not fun anymore. I'm in a similar situation where I'm essentially the only trials rider in my town and travelling to the nearest place takes and hour, and I don't have time for two hours in a train to go for a few hours ride.

One thing I do is I think of making a video. I think of what I would like to see from myself in a video of my riding and I push towards making that video. The problem with this is that, while doing so, I think of new lines so can never decide when 'to quit improving' and make a video. Yet I feel that from this, and I don't want to sound arrogant here, that I am in a constant state of progression. And when I'm in this sort of mindset it tends to continue.

But constantly riding by yourself is hard to do, and much more physically demanding usually. Sometimes when I'm getting depressed about riding I just take a week off where I just don't think about riding, then I'll start when I'm genuinely excited about the thought of riding, and hopefully I'll progress at this point.

Generally though I'd say to watch videos you like, think of some new lines that you can push towards and possibly ride to music if it doesn't distract you.

Cheers guys at least im not alone! I went out tonight for an hour or so and just had no drive or ambition. I just rolled around alot was just more trick riding rather than practicing sidehopping or backhopping just sorta pulled a few stoppies, endos and switzerland sqweakers and so on then got bored and went to get some food and buggered off home.

In the same boat as you mate, haven't ridden properly in about 5 months and hbtc have now finished I don't really have to be motivated towards for riding anymore. :( With the sailing season starting in the next few weeks I want to be out on the water more than I do riding at the moment.

Edited by Jake Beach