Headsets... Help

Fish-Finger-er

right, im confused to say the least.

got a felt compulsion 2 2008(mint sauce ltd edition one), with the standard rockshox pike 409's on it, which are in need of a service, and if im honest, stiffer springs, as there set up for someone around 12 stone, im circa 17 stone when geared up with a pack on.

which is going to run me(for oil and springs) £130 (springs are £120) which will still be cheap coil sprung pikes.

been looking at new forks, and ive got mighty confused with the new steerer arrangment. I believe ive currently got 1 1/8 forks (i.e bog standard straight steerer) although ive always thought the headset cups looked super fat. turns out its got a 45mm bore headtube, with integrated headset.

this isnt mine, but its identical frame and forks to give you an idea

bikepics005.jpg

now i can get hold of 1.5 steerer forks very cheap. having a quick google, some people are saying you can fit a different headset, and fit 1.5" steerer forks, no ones said you cant, but all the 1.5" headsets, are the new international standard, which i understand, but doesnt really explain anything.

other places are saying you could ream the faces out to accept a 1.5" external headset. but i dont have a clue

basically is there anyway i can fit 1.5" forks in my frame, or is it just a no go.

There are quite a few headsets out now that allow tapered forks on Internal/Semi-integrated/ZeroStack frames with 44mm ID headtubes but can't say I've seen any for integrated or indeed straight 1.5 forks. Suppose you could bodge one in or turn your own lower cup as the bearings are pretty standard.

For 44mm ID there's the CC EC44 bottom and Nuke Proof 44IETS so far but CK have a mixed InSet slated for spring release.

Edited by ZeroMatt