Sidehop Confidence

Aidan97

Revolver's advice was best - if it doesn't feel right, do it until it does!

its because im not used to throwing my bike that way Ill just keep trying 4 pallets until im confident

I seem to have the same problem :( When I try a sidehop slightly higher than I'm used to i just stick my foot out and jump off at the last minute.

I know it seems as if I know im not going to hurt myself but it just feels scary :huh:

I've learnt to sidehop the 'correct' way too over this past week. I found that if you start sidehopping onto things like low benches, and get the feel for them, when you move onto the bigger stuff it will be less daunting.

I can allready sidehop higher with more confidence than I did the 'wrong' way round.

On the up side I can now sidehop in both directions!

Very usefull in a comp or tricky situation.

I've learnt to sidehop the 'correct' way too over this past week. I found that if you start sidehopping onto things like low benches, and get the feel for them, when you move onto the bigger stuff it will be less daunting.

I can allready sidehop higher with more confidence than I did the 'wrong' way round.

On the up side I can now sidehop in both directions!

Very usefull in a comp or tricky situation.

what was the biggest you could get up the wrong way?

I can see how the correct way thing works also back foot to fall on if you don't make it. I randomly decided to gap facing the other way a while go and literally in 30mins I gained half a foot at least I am now getting used to galling upnto rear wheel that way and hopefully am going to try and turn my side hop around. But just practise as people say you will get used to it.

I can see how the correct way thing works also back foot to fall on if you don't make it. I randomly decided to gap facing the other way a while go and literally in 30mins I gained half a foot at least I am now getting used to galling upnto rear wheel that way and hopefully am going to try and turn my side hop around. But just practise as people say you will get used to it.

Bella, side hopping to your opposite of your forward foot allows you to get higher as it gives you more clearance. I am right foot forward, if I side hop to my right I will eventually get to height that i will struggle with, not because it is too high, but because my foot catches the obstacle on my way up. This happens, because your forward foot is your stronger foot/leg so naturally when on the back wheel you foot and leg is pulling the bike in the same direction as your forward foot.

By side hopping to your back foot side (weaker foot/leg), you are having to put that effort in to get the bike to go that way. This allows you to have more clearance, go higher and control your movement during your side hop.

since ive stated sidehopping the correct way I feel nervous when doing it and it doesnt seem to feel as smooth when im landing, what can I do to feel more confident.

Seems to be a common misconception about sidehopping the 'correct way' The correct way is the way that you feel most comfortable.. You wouldnt start playing football with the other foot because somebody says its better. I'd stick to going the way that suits you. I guess this is kick foot side. There is nothing wrong with that loads of people do it. Including myself

Edited by mods

I tend to find they will eventually become easier. Your much closer to the obstical, and you won't catch your foot like you would normally.

Tucking will be easier too. I found when I sidehopped the stock to the right, I couldnt get my arse over the left side enough because my left foot was further back, whereas I can tuck over the right side of the wheel more because my right foot is forward when going left. So I can tuck more and in turn go higher.

Sorry if this doesnt make sense. :)

In my previous post I explain why it's better to side hop to the opposite side to your forward foot.

Ie: right foot forward - sidehop to the left.

Left foot forward - sidehop to the right.

I am right foot forward, first learnt to sidehop to my right like most people do. You just go with what feels most natural and comfortable. This is great until you hit the wall of not being able to improve and get any higher. This is when learning to your opposite way will be beneficial.