Wireless Tv & Home Wifi

Gandalf the Yellow

searched everywhere on net and can't seem to find anything!

got a new TV, series 6 Samsung LED blah blah has internet dongle additional.

I was hoping to connect it up to my home router, which is a N-rated Netgear, with USB storage so my 1TB Buffalo EXHDD is a home network drive.

so now the wifi connection is established there's no visible files that I can see on the TV, VUZE and my Laptop name is visible and I can go in it, there's loads of folders and subfolders none of which I recognise...

anyone have any idea how I can access either my laptop first to view any media files on the TV??

Steve

Have you read the manual? I thought the samsung DLNA file sharing system requires samsungs own software on a computer running a sort of TVersity type setup? My 7 series does.

I know this isn't the answer you're looking for but i use AppleTV for this kinda stuff and i t'aint got no complaints.

The samsung tv is .mkv compatible though. Aint no crapple box gonna play those without a load of arse ache in terms of converting them to .mp4. Lack of internal storage sucks balls too. Should have bought a Revo and installed XBMC on it with Aeon Mq2.

Never found the lack of storage an issue? You can always just hook your hard drive up to your wirless router.... Also you can't airplay to a Revo xx7534........ whatever it's called.

It suits my needs and also's me to watch, listen and connect the things i have around my home so i have no reason to complain or want for anything else.

Never found the lack of storage an issue? You can always just hook your hard drive up to your wirless router.... Also you can't airplay to a Revo xx7534........ whatever it's called.

Why would you want to? I assume your only copy of music files isn't on your iphone. Nobody should be stupid enough to buy airport speakers so it serves no purpose really. Though if you really want iphone integration you can use the iphone as a touch remote to flick through menu's etc on xbmc ;)

The appletv is largely an expensive paperweight. Won't play HD without a load of pissing about, no internal storage should you want to take just the one box over to a mates house, no episode guides or advanced listing features, mediocre menu and general GUI system. For the price there are much better products out there. It's just behind the times. Sure you may be happy with the appletv now, but when faster broadband and HD everything becomes standard your product is going to fall behind, where as similar models will be capable for years to come.

I won't even go into the limited range RGB output colour channels as opposed to the full spectrum which is the normal standard.

Oh yeah, did i mention it won't do 1080p? :P

Why would i want to? It's a social thing. I don't own an iPhone and have no plans to but when friends come to my place they often have an extensive film, photo or music collection on their iPhone or iPad so it's nice for me and them to be able to either watch a film, listen to their music or go through their photos in my lounge on the TV. It's the interaction aspect i like. I never mentioned airport speakers so not sure why you mentioned those?

Again with the internal storage i see why you'd miss that. But for me personally it's not a consideration - the streaming is instant and if a hard drive based alternative was required then as you say there's options out there.

I couldn't agree less on the menu/GUI system...it's a pleasure to use compared to most products out there. Granted Apple may have their issues and 100,000,001 people out there hate them but they certainly do know a thing or two about interfaces. I don't want to argue with you about it as it's dull and geeky but the way you interact with either an iPhone, iPad iPod etc compared to competitors models just doesn't compare - it's not even close - it's one aspect of Apple that they do consistently well in and other manufacturers are always trying to either emulate or catch-up to.

About the technical limitations....you seem to know exactly what you're talking about and i'm sure you're very well informed. For you i can see that you wouldn't want to use such an inferior product and that's your prerogative but honestly when i'm sitting down watching a movie streamed from my computer, or watching 'Way Back Home' on the big screen i honestly couldn't give a f**k if it's 720p or 1080p, i couldn't give a shit whether the green hues have maximum vibrancy - i'm just having fun, enjoying the ocular feast on a device which i find enjoyable to use which didn't cost me anything.

Perhaps my needs are more simple than yours.

Stuff

I get that you're pleased with it and if it's free even better, but if someone else read this thread and ended up buying one they'd most likely find it massively limited.

I bought from trials-uk once and whilst that met my needs, people who know better would probably chip in if i recommended them on here.