Pannier Racks Suck!

MadManMike

So in preparation for the Lands End ride, I thought I'd get a rack for all my luggage.

Universal fit, you just adjust the top rail things. No problem. In fact, it is a problem - the lower mount on the Kraken means that the pannier can't be mounted as there's a large disc brake mount bolt in the way. If I put the pannier rack over the bolt and tighten it, it obviously pushes the caliper in a bit and could snap but either way, it rubs on the disc and prevents the wheel from turning.

Not just that, I tightened the mount on the upper frame and the head came off the bolt so now I have a bolt stuck in my frame - there's nothing sticking out so I can't molegrip it or anything.

Any quick solutions??

Hope I explained it ok, I'm tired and pissed off.

Nope I was told they were universal, I didn't think a disc brake would affect it - I assumed in 2011 we'd be past problems like that.

Cheers for the "Easy out" idea, I'll look into it :)

Alot of racks don't fit with disk brakes (obviously!), the Topeak super tour dx is a good one to go for.

Makes you wonder why the feck they put mounts on the frame then really - seeing as the bike comes with discs as standard and more importantly, disc specific rims. If I used a longer bolt with a washer and some loctite, do you reckon it would be alright? (And obviously remove and replace that top bolt that fell apart)

The rack says up to 25kg, it will be used for about 10kg max so not loads of weight...

I'd love to keep piling money into this bike but I can't afford it and it's pissing me off that everything I buy doesn't fit for one or more reasons.

When you say Kraken i assume you are talking about the Carrera Kraken?

If you are the Halfords sell a Disc brake specific rack for about £25 i think.

And as for the frame. most budget frames are built to take all manner of accessories. Unless you spend upwards of about £700-£800 on a bike then expect it to have all kinds of mounts and lugs on the frame.

Hope this helps.