Mad Phase?

BurlyBox

ive been looking for a bike for a while now and ive just noticed that the MAD Phases have dropped in price on Winstanleys.

1.3 is £160

1.2 is £200

1.1 is £250

ive heard that theyre not great bikes but i dont wanna spend much on my forst bike so i though i could get an opinion from others. i know if i get one of them it wont be the 1.3 as it doesnt have the HS33s that the others do and for an extra £40 i can get the 1.2 which would make it cheaper, and also im guessing its lighter by the description of the frame on the 1.2 compared to the 1.3. i dont wanna buy the 1.1 because its a little more expensive and im trying not to spend too much but as maggies are much better than the standard brakes fitted i thought its worth getting the 1.2 as i would buy them sooner or later anyway.

what's other people's opinion of MAD Phases and are they worth the money?

Edited by BurlyBox

I don't know who told you they're not great bikes, if I was just starting out I'd definately pick one up for the money. The best buy is probably a 1.2 as the extra money for a 1.1 only really gets you a shorter cage rear mech, different cranks and I think a different bar/stem combo. The frame is perfect for upgrading and all 3 are identical bar the different brake mounts, have a search for some vids by Phatmike who runs Phatpads as he's a MAD team rider and they all use the Phase 1.1 frames with their own setups so that should say enough about them!

I don't know who told you they're not great bikes, if I was just starting out I'd definately pick one up for the money. The best buy is probably a 1.2 as the extra money for a 1.1 only really gets you a shorter cage rear mech, different cranks and I think a different bar/stem combo. The frame is perfect for upgrading and all 3 are identical bar the different brake mounts, have a search for some vids by Phatmike who runs Phatpads as he's a MAD team rider and they all use the Phase 1.1 frames with their own setups so that should say enough about them!

that sounds promising. yeah apparently theyre heavy because of the gears but i can get one single speeded i guess

i wouldnt order of winstanleys, heard loads of bad reviews and when i ordered a lever it took 3+ weeks to get here (N)

hmm. winstanleys is the cheapest place ive found for the bikes and im in no rush to get it but hmm il have a think.

I just got mine and I really like it! It doesn't seem that heavy to me..anyway I'm single speeding it. It's a 1.3 so the brakes suck a bit..go for the 1.2 if you can

thats exactly what im planning. im gonna get the single speed and sprocket kit and get a freewheel and chain which shouldnt be too much and then im well on my way.

i got the 1.2 and am immensely happy with everyone who has rode it has been suprised the only things i have changed is the grips and the rear hub. and stuck some better pads on, its a great bike to learn on. i got mine off ebay though cant speak for winstanleys

oh and i single speeded mine and got a stronger chain but that was more for security and strength than anything else

Edited by stewie87

No tensioner perfect make the chain really tight after a ride it will slacken a bit but it will be perfect for riding :) get the 1.2 beautiful bikes

O

And would a fixed tensioner work well or would it be like having no tensioner?

Edited by Tioz

I've got a 1.1, highly recommend it especially at the price on winstanleys. I've just put single speed on with new rear wheel (Pro2 T on echo urban front rim). Absolutely love the set up, very whippy and not too heavy at all especially without the derailleur and shifter etc.

If you get one learn the basics first but seriously consider getting good pads and a grind/ tar asap- it makes such a difference!

As for the chain tensioner you will probably want a sprung tensioner.... i run this and cant recommend it highly enough- http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/sprung_tensioners/atomz_premier_sprung_tensioner/c48p11440.html

Hope this helps!

P.S. Snapped my chain earlier.... maybe invest in a good chain too!

I've got a 1.1, highly recommend it especially at the price on winstanleys. I've just put single speed on with new rear wheel (Pro2 T on echo urban front rim). Absolutely love the set up, very whippy and not too heavy at all especially without the derailleur and shifter etc.

If you get one learn the basics first but seriously consider getting good pads and a grind/ tar asap- it makes such a difference!

As for the chain tensioner you will probably want a sprung tensioner.... i run this and cant recommend it highly enough- http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/sprung_tensioners/atomz_premier_sprung_tensioner/c48p11440.html

Hope this helps!

P.S. Snapped my chain earlier.... maybe invest in a good chain too!

by the looks of it im gonna need a single speed kit, sprocket and freewheel to single speed it so il hang on for a while if i do that.

il worry about pads and grinds later when i need it more, and im gonna avoid tar because ive heard it ruins pads after a while.

il worry about a tensioner later too, especially if its gonna cost me £30.

thanks for the advice about the bike though, im pretty certain im gonna get it but il wait till after my birthday and then il have some more money and its only a few days anyway.

Edited by BurlyBox

Type in google superstar components and get there single speed kit and a chain break tool shorten the chain then there's no need for a tensioner also no real need for a freewheel unless you get one for your cranks ffw but that's not a must. Get the 1.2 fella.

Type in google superstar components and get there single speed kit and a chain break tool shorten the chain then there's no need for a tensioner also no real need for a freewheel unless you get one for your cranks ffw but that's not a must. Get the 1.2 fella.

im planning on it. ive got a chain break tool already but il learn the basics for a while before single speeding it.

EDIT: ive just looked at the singlespeed kit and its a great price! also as theyre so cheap i may as well get a ffw when i single speed it as its not too much more from looking on rocknrollbikes.com.

Edited by BurlyBox

thats exactly what im planning. im gonna get the single speed and sprocket kit and get a freewheel and chain which shouldnt be too much and then im well on my way.

You will not be able to use a freewheel with that rear hub. If you want a freewheel you will have to change it to a fixed hub. Or obviously you could buy a single speed kit to go on the Shimano hub that comes with the bike.

If you want to use a freehweel on the front, you will have to but a new crankset.

Edited by max-t

Would you guys recommend a sprung or fixed chain tensioner?

Sprung, don't skimp on a tensioner, and don't attempt to achieve the perfect balance between tight enough to stay on your sprocket but loose enough to be able to pedal, it's gonna shorten the life of pretty much your entire drive train if it's too tight, and it's gonna mess your face up if it's too loose. I tried a few things before actually buying a tensioner, including spoke tensioners, the lucky chain length, etc. and after buying a tensioner and seeing how well it's held out I wish I'd got one sooner. I also ride a Phase 1.2, went single-speed after hitting the dérailleur whilst hopping up a bench, and it pretty much tore my mech hanger apart, so if you're going to stick with gears be careful hopping up stuff on the same side as your dérailleur. I run a Trialtech Sport Long sprung tensioner which is nice and hidden, changed my grips to some Trialtech foams, and got a Hope Pro 2 trials hub on the back, sweet as a nut.

EDIT: If you want to go FFW*, you'll need a fixed rear hub, the singlespeed kit, a freewheel and you might even need some new cranks as I remember someone telling me the cranks on the 1.2s won't work with FFWs. You can go singlespeed though, you'll probably want a new freehub as the shimano one is dog. To go singlespeed with a rear freewheel, you'd just need a tensioner and the singlespeed kit, and then you just take all the gears off, put your tensioner where the dérailleur used to go, and boom, singlespeed. But yeah, the shimano has like 2 engagement points, so you're better off buying a new freehub - unless you're only dabbling to see if trials is for you.

*Forward freewheel

Some freehubs in case you're still none the wiser: http://www.tartybike..._hubs/c148.html

Edited by Dwarf Shortage

Sprung, don't skimp on a tensioner, and don't attempt to achieve the perfect balance between tight enough to stay on your sprocket but loose enough to be able to pedal, it's gonna shorten the life of pretty much your entire drive train if it's too tight, and it's gonna mess your face up if it's too loose. I tried a few things before actually buying a tensioner, including spoke tensioners, the lucky chain length, etc. and after buying a tensioner and seeing how well it's held out I wish I'd got one sooner. I also ride a Phase 1.2, went single-speed after hitting the dérailleur whilst hopping up a bench, and it pretty much tore my mech hanger apart, so if you're going to stick with gears be careful hopping up stuff on the same side as your dérailleur. I run a Trialtech Sport Long sprung tensioner which is nice and hidden, changed my grips to some Trialtech foams, and got a Hope Pro 2 trials hub on the back, sweet as a nut.

EDIT: If you want to go FFW*, you'll need a fixed rear hub, the singlespeed kit, a freewheel and you might even need some new cranks as I remember someone telling me the cranks on the 1.2s won't work with FFWs. You can go singlespeed though, you'll probably want a new freehub as the shimano one is dog. To go singlespeed with a rear freewheel, you'd just need a tensioner and the singlespeed kit, and then you just take all the gears off, put your tensioner where the dérailleur used to go, and boom, singlespeed. But yeah, the shimano has like 2 engagement points, so you're better off buying a new freehub - unless you're only dabbling to see if trials is for you.

*Forward freewheel

Some freehubs in case you're still none the wiser: http://www.tartybike..._hubs/c148.html

Why is a fixed hub with front freewheel so essential?:turned:

Also don't you risk hitting the chain tensioner like you would the derailleur?

It isn't essential. If you are just starting out and seeing if you like Trials, you don't need to be splashing out cash on loads of upgrades. The deraillieur and chain tensioner are both mounted onto the 'hanger bracket' which is designed to break off if you smash it on something hard anyway. Solution is, don't hit it or get a frame with hoizontal dropouts. The latter being out of the question.

wait so i cant singlespeed it then?

You can singlespeed it, but you cannot do this with a freewheel. All you need is a singlespeed conversion kit.

It isn't, I run rear freewheel with fixed cranks and it's fine, some people prefer FFW, some prefer freehubs, as with a lot of things in trials, it's purely rider's choice, and what they prefer.

I can't speak for any others but the chain tensioner I use (Trialtech Sport Long) tucks away neatly under the frame, making it a lot harder to hit.

Mark W used the same tensioner on his Fourplay:

black1.jpg

To clear some things up here. The Phase bike range are basic, this reflected in the price. The 1.2 is an excellent buy and a great frame to ride, search for my videos as well as the rest of the guys on the MAD team. These frames are fully capable of doing the basics to the advanced trials riding.

The spec is fine for beginners, but for those improving you will want to upgrade parts.

The simplest upgrade is to replace the rear wheel, the rim is fine to re-use as it is a Alex DX32. As the supplied hub is a standard Shimano hub with 16 engagements, your cheapest upgrade is to buy a Hope Pro 2 trials hub, either replace the whole wheel or get the Hope hub built on to the DX32 rim.

By upgrading to the Hope hub you can keep the supplied cranks, though it is advisable to upgrade the chain as well, especially if fitting a single speed kit.

FFW (Front Freewheel) will not run on this bike with out you replacing the cranks for screw on cranks and a screw on rear hub. But unless you have a bit of money, I wouldn't recommend this.

By having a free wheel on the cranks, the weight is evenly distributed across the whole bike, rather than most the weight being at the rear.

Hope this helps.