Question For The V Brake Guru's

mr.tattoo

my little bro just got a mission for hes for trials bike, all set up and rides nice but the rear brake doesnt hold after adjusting, its a v brake and on closer inspection as you pull the lever it bites fine but as you pull it harder the lever comes back to the bar, it appears the actual brake arms are flexing out between the pad and top where cable goes on lol? will a pair of better arms sort this as ive not seen this before on brakes? cheers

Avid single digit 7 callipers with a v brake booster and that should stiffen it up a beast. Also take into consideration the inner and outer cables the standard shimano stuff seems to do the trick for me, Perhaps a linear slick if you fancy some bar spin action. Also you will probably be able to pick up some nice cnc pad backings which would finish off a rather tasty brake setup.

Edited by jambo

It shouldn't be that bad even without a booster.

First adjust the cable slack/tension so when you do pull the brake with one finger it doesn't go all the way to the bar. If after doing that you find one pad hits the rim first or is touching the rim, use the spring tension screw on the side of the affected arm to add more tension, this will move the arm away from the rim a bit and pull the other side in. Play around with it until you have good lever feel and the arms are hitting the rim at the same time.

Another thing to check would be if the rear wheel is dished correctly/centered and obviously the pads are hitting square.

Edited by bip

It shouldn't be that bad even without a booster.

First adjust the cable slack/tension so when you do pull the brake with one finger it doesn't go all the way to the bar. If after doing that you find one pad hits the rim first or is touching the rim, use the spring tension screw on the side of the affected arm to add more tension, this will move the arm away from the rim a bit and pull the other side in. Play around with it until you have good lever feel and the arms are hitting the rim at the same time.

Another thing to check would be if the rear wheel is dished correctly/centered and obviously the pads are hitting square.

hi mate everything is adjusted perfectly and all square, rim even has a gring, the hold is terrible the lever comes back to the bar near enuf and if you just shufling around in circles it dont hold on the rear (N) its gota be toooo much frame flex theres nowt else it can be as its all new brake wise. doh

hi mate everything is adjusted perfectly and all square, rim even has a gring, the hold is terrible the lever comes back to the bar near enuf and if you just shufling around in circles it dont hold on the rear (N) its gota be toooo much frame flex theres nowt else it can be as its all new brake wise. doh

Are the pads hitting the rim THEN you can keep pulling the lever back to the bars, or is it just that you're having to pull them all that way to make contact?

If it's the first you've got some flex somewhere - frame, caliper arms or cable. If it's the second then you can probably use some washers and stuff to get the pads closer to start with.

Why don't you come over my way for a ride tomorrow arvo and I'll have a go at sorting them?

Are the pads hitting the rim THEN you can keep pulling the lever back to the bars, or is it just that you're having to pull them all that way to make contact?

If it's the first you've got some flex somewhere - frame, caliper arms or cable. If it's the second then you can probably use some washers and stuff to get the pads closer to start with.

Why don't you come over my way for a ride tomorrow arvo and I'll have a go at sorting them?

haha dude although i look retarded i no how to set brakes up :unsure:lol. yeah pads are touching as any other brake but the lever continues back to the bar and aint holding. cable and v brake and pads and grind is all brand new . my lil bros bike is a mission frame so not sure if there common on flex etc but its dire

haha dude although i look retarded i no how to set brakes up :unsure:lol. yeah pads are touching as any other brake but the lever continues back to the bar and aint holding. cable and v brake and pads and grind is all brand new . my lil bros bike is a mission frame so not sure if there common on flex etc but its dire

Ha, wasn't calling you retarded :P Just checking the obvious first. Sounds like the frame's flexing massively - you should be able to see it happening if it's that bad. I'd go so far as saying you should check it for crack on the seat stay joins...

Ha, wasn't calling you retarded :P Just checking the obvious first. Sounds like the frame's flexing massively - you should be able to see it happening if it's that bad. I'd go so far as saying you should check it for crack on the seat stay joins...

yeah i had a quick shifty for cracks couldnt see any matey, to be fair the bikes near brand new dont think its seen any trials use to be fair, you can defo see flex but the lever feel is poop. you can see flex on my onza but it seems to hold. il try find a booster and see if not i will be welding gussets ha

yeah i had a quick shifty for cracks couldnt see any matey, to be fair the bikes near brand new dont think its seen any trials use to be fair, you can defo see flex but the lever feel is poop. you can see flex on my onza but it seems to hold. il try find a booster and see if not i will be welding gussets ha

Yea my Echo used to flex loads but it just helped the hold... Sounds odd that you can't get any at all. Could have tyre release agent crap on the grind? You can't really see it, but some meths on a rag will shift it. Have you sanded the pads a bit too? All stuff you probably already know and have tried, but I might as well mention them just in case.

Yea my Echo used to flex loads but it just helped the hold... Sounds odd that you can't get any at all. Could have tyre release agent crap on the grind? You can't really see it, but some meths on a rag will shift it. Have you sanded the pads a bit too? All stuff you probably already know and have tried, but I might as well mention them just in case.

yeah done all that dude, it does hold enuf for track stands etc but pedal kicks out the question as it just slips. anoying hey ha