Mech Issues For All!

davey1991

Right this doesn't cause any shifting issues but i'm sure its not right.

When i'm using my granny ring my chain rests on the outside of the rear mech for the first few or last few gears i can't remember of the top of my head, but it doesn't look or sound right.

I don't mean it rubs on the inside of the mech but it acctually rests over the mech.

I'm assuming my chain is to long? I don't think the chain has been changed since new so could this be halfords error?

Edited by davey1991

I suspect you are shifting into the smaller cogs in your cassette while in your granny ring, you should not do this.

If you are using the granny ring and needing a higher gear rather than shifting all the way down the cassette you should be shifting into a larger front chainring.

Yep, you're doing it wrong.

See my post before your photos.

You shouldn't ever be shifting into those combinations, it will cause the most amount of chain slack and also create a bad chain line. You also shouldn't ever shift into the largest front chainring and the larger rear cogs.

Plus your chain is probably a bit long anyway. Chuck it into the largest cogs front and rear and get the chain to be short enough to make the rear mech face forwards at a 45 degree angle. Sorted.

That was one option i thought of, i don't use them in fact i rarely use anything but my miffle ring but i noticed it the other day when i was setting up my gearing.

Thanks guys panic over.

DSC00087-1.jpg

DSC00088-1.jpg

Looks about right to me?

Thanks guys.