Build Thread: Pinnacle

crashbanggg

rear mechs ought to be a nightmare to get the indexing right yet they work perfectly.
But they are attached to a fixed position mech hanger. With front mechs you have to mess around setting the height and angle before even touching the High/Low adjustment.

I have been fortunate enough to never have needed to set up a front mech from scratch. x1 front chainring is the best way anyway, I have been running 1x9 for ages, way before 10 speed was ever out. While I'm on the subject I find it amusing everyone is now changing to 1x10 setups. By changing to 1x10 you don't gain an easier gear ratio for the up hills, you just gain a tighter range cassette that shifts a bit smoother (that requires a thinner chain which in theory will be quicker to wear out and snap). Now loads of people that like having the latest shiny bike gear are manning up and ditching their granny rings :P

• 2 months later...

Ok, so maybe the upgrades aren't completely done :- The forks feel just that little bit too short so i'm looking to get some longer ones. Iv been offered some Rock Shox Revelations for a very good price and im sorely tempted! As they are adjustable between 100-130mm it gives me a certain amount of travel range, but what kind of travel would potentially kill the frame?

I like Revelations, my girlfriend has a set of the older ones (Dual air 100-130mm - like those ones you posted only hers are grey) on her MTB and they work really well. RockShox changed them in the last 2 years, they're now 140-150mm travel and a bit beefier. I don't know about the coil ones but the air ones feel really nice even when wound down to 100mm (I imagined they wouldn't feel plush, but they feel great).

The only problem with RockShox is that to keep them running nicely, you really ought to clean them and change the bath oil pretty regularly. I think RS recommend every 50 hours of riding or something. It's not difficult once you've done it a few times and it definitely helps.

When you buy them, check the U-Turn moves smoothly, check the rebound (and compression) adjustment works as it should. If they feel OK and they look OK there's probably not too much wrong with them.

As for travel - no idea. How much is it supposed to have up front? The headtube looks reasonably beefy, I doubt you'll break it there. If you put too much travel up front it might feel a bit jazzy / slow steering so I suspect that will be the limiting factor. If I had to guess, I'd say 130mm will be fine.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got my bike back after a weeks riding in Scotland, the riding was amazing! ...Though I could probably live without the uphills.

In the end I went for the original bar/ stem setup as the DMR/ Scott stuff felt wayyyy to twitchy in the air for me. And with it being a pretty short frame anyway, the long stem seems alright.

I think that is all the building/ changes im going to do for a while so here's some parting shots ;)

IMGP0149.jpg

Edited by crashbanggg

• 2 months later...