Not A Good Day!

Pure

New frame and rear wheel arrived today thanks to Toastie, was a lovely sunny morning and decided to get to work on getting the new parts up and running. Also the tools I had ordered arrived, BB tool and crank puller, which is where the problems begin... I foolishly bought the ISIS crank puller and not the square taper so I completely destroyed the thread on one of my cranks, not cool! So I gave tarty a call and see if they'd refund/exchange it, they said I could post it to them and they can then judge if they can resell it, which is fair enough!

So I gave up on the cranks for now and moved onto taking off my rear wheel and sprocket to put on my new wheel, got the whole wheel off, took it to the vice with some old chain and went to undo it as instructed on the tarty website, problem is the chain slipped in the vice and completely chewed up the grip blocks in the vice (hoping dad doesnt notice)! Gave the local bike shop a call and they said we don't have any chain whips in stock but we can use the warehouse one if you bring the wheel up, which I did. The stupid man in the workshop decided to turn the chain whip the wrong way and tightened it unti the chain whip broke, making it impossible to undo the sprocket.. nice one! So I bought a square taper crank pull and came home to take off the driveside crank arm.

TL;DR - New frame and wheel, no money for new parts, crank arm with f*cked thread and an unmovable sprocket so can't put them on new frame >_<:(

What do you guys suggest I do? Cheers

• Like 1

The stupid man in the workshop decided to turn the chain whip the wrong way and tightened it unti the chain whip broke, making it impossible to undo the sprocket..

I don't think he'd be able to put much more force through it than you would from riding - chain-whips are pretty weak at the best of times, and are almost never, ever strong enough to take a sprocket off, so I don't think he could over-tighten it onto there. I've personally had countless people on the phone tell me that Bike shop X broke chainwhips getting their sprocket off, but we've never really had any issues getting those same sprockets off 'cos we just do the chain & vice method. Either way - it shouldn't make it impossible to take it off, you just need to try and get it off again. Even simple things like keeping the tyre/tube on and inflated help give more leverage. Get two of you round it, do an "On 3", then beast it :) If you do the little triangle chain link thing (I think Ads mentions it in the video) that should help stop it slipping in the vice too.

Thanks for all the replies guys! I'm still stuck with both but I've had a go at hammering the crank with no luck, apparently there is a tool out there that can 'pop' cranks off without using the push method, will do some research!

With the sprocket, I realised he hadn't tightened it but I was just a bit miffed that he almost made it seem like my fault the chain tool broke! Anyways won't be supporting them anymore :shifty:

I tried the chain and vice method again, this time with my dad - no luck, what's this triangle method you're on about, mark?

Solution to the money problem! Sell my guitar and other things I never use!

Thanks again guys! :D

I've had a go at hammering the crank with no luck, apparently there is a tool out there that can 'pop' cranks off without using the push method, will do some research!

No need. Spray loads of WD40 in there and keep working at it and it will come off.

Nice one, so if you came to a bike shop that say i owned, and smashed you in the face with a lump hammer i could say "Its not my shops fault, its just not your day is" really? no.

Yeah cause adam at tarty, smashed im in the face with a hammer did he, i think not ! :S

no luck, what's this triangle method you're on about, mark?

You basically make a 'point' using a link of chain, so instead of it wrapping fully around the sprocket, you have it so over one tooth the chain kinks out (and then back on the tooth after) so it makes a little triangle. Sort of hard to explain, but I've got a photo to show what I mean. That's in work though, so I'll have to try and find it for you tomorrow.