Advantage Of A Front Freewheel

BradJohnson

For more efficient jean shortening.

Nah it's for ratio's and stuff ins't it. Have a bloody think - people don't want to be running no big ass 22t chainring up front anymore (i do actually) so where else is it going to go?

Means you can change gear whilst freewheeling to, which i know loads of trials riders are keen on!

More efficient and direct power. If the freewheel is on the back the power from the cranks has to be transmitted through the chain to the freewheel which then has to engage to drive the wheel. It might seem minor but every bit of power / efficiency saving makes a difference.

More efficient and direct power. If the freewheel is on the back the power from the cranks has to be transmitted through the chain to the freewheel which then has to engage to drive the wheel. It might seem minor but every bit of power / efficiency saving makes a difference.

That's all a load of crap, sorry but it is :rolleyes: the chain has to do EXACTLY the same work weather the freewheel is on the front or back, the freewheel still has to engage too.

the MAIN reasons are that back in the day, you couldn't get cogs any smaller than 20-22t on the front. This meant that ground clearance wasn't so good. People then started to thread cranks and put an 18t freewheel on the front which dramatically reduced the ground clearance. It also moves the weight to the center which means it's easier to pick the rear wheel up and spin the back end around. Back in the days of un-reliable freewheels and hubs, it was easier to carry a spare crank with freewheel on at comps rather than a whole back wheel.

• Like 2

im just upgrading to front freewheel. one because they are cheaper/than freehubs (it remains to be seen how long they last compared to my original pro 2 ive had since 2006). in my case i only had 24 engagment points. (original pro 2) so having 108 in a freewheel will give me much better power etc. also as mentioned it can even out weight. im now* able to have a lighter hub and sprocket assembly on the back. the back end of my bike has always been heavy. personnal preference realy.

Edited by DeVal

I have just finished a little project on an onza bird 09 and put on new cranks and a front freewheel, and i was wondering why people have them on the front.

I have it on the front so that when i walk into any bike shop, they always say "woahhh a front freewheel, dont see that often."

I have it on the front so that when i walk into any bike shop, they always say "woahhh a front freewheel, dont see that often."

When i took my wheel and crank to the bike shop they wouldn't swich the freewheel to the crank because they said it wont work, so i had to got to another bike shop and they said it might not work, i knew it would but they wouldn't do it for mw so i had to do it myself.

I believe what he says that they told him it wouldnt work. Because where i live most bike shops have no idea about these freewheels and never see setups like mine (which is an average trial bike).

The only reason i even go to my LBS is to order parts, im scared to have them touch my trials bike...

I believe what he says that they told him it wouldnt work. Because where i live most bike shops have no idea about these freewheels and never see setups like mine (which is an average trial bike).

The only reason i even go to my LBS is to order parts, im scared to have them touch my trials bike...

+1

i only go to my local bmx shop for workshop stuff. cuz the guys there are pro bmx 'ers and know there trade. the local mountain bike shop is just old men who ride road bikes lol