Bashplate Or Not?

Jake.

Frame strengths  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Is the frame stronger, more durable- with or without a bashplate?

• Yes, it is stronger without.
    • No, it isn't stronger without.
  2. 2. Is a bashplate or a bashring better?

I just bought a new Koxx XTP, and I went on a ride today. One of the riders- Josh, said that I should get a bashring, ditch the bashplate, and grind the mounts off.

Who thinks this is a good idea? Apparently it's much better for the bike to be hit on the frame where the bashplate area is, than hit the bashplate (because it is more partial to cracks and snaps with a bashplate).

What's your opinion?

Edit: Koxx XTP frame pictures below,

DSC01694.jpg

DSC01689.jpg

DSC01682.jpg

Edited by OnzaKid

This is a bit of a grey area.

Yes, using a bashplate will put the load through the bashplate mounts, and can cause the mounts to crack, but ive cracked a frame around the bashplate mounts when NOT using a bashplate (and not bashing the shit out of the frame to be honest)

I think the results can vaery frame to frame though (Y)

Hmm true Martin, I really don't know what to do in this case. Might leave it and get put my bashring on to have bashplate & bashring. I'm mainly bothered about the frames strengths, I got told if the bashplates get hit often enough- the welds can go into the frame and cause more problems than if you don't have a plate. And I also got told that plates were for competition trials mainly, I ride 97.5% street and only hit the bashplate/downtube if I slip on the rear wheel when gapping, or riding up a wall.

Edit: I do my sidehops on the chain drive side and, I'll definitely need a bash ring for that...

Edited by OnzaKid

All im saying is my mates frame cracked because he went to bash way to many times...

I think this might be a good idea but it kind of depends on which way you side-hop, gap up etc... :)

Oh and by the way...is the bike worth it after all? :P

Edited by extremedougie

So far ive cracked a frame around the 4 bolt mounts (whilst using a tensile booster) a frame around the bash plate mount (without using a bashplate) so ive gotten to the stage of:

F**k it, ride it till it dies. If it breaks, it breaks :P

Did you not grind the plate mounts off? :blink:

And yesss, ride 'til it dies. I'm just a bit protective of this bike as I just got it hah, and got told it's not easy to get another frame of the same kind...

All im saying is my mates frame cracked because he went to bash way to many times...

I think this might be a good idea but it kind of depends on which way you side-hop, gap up etc... :)

Oh and by the way...is the bike worth it after all? :P

I hardly ever go to bash, I avoid it at all/any costs. I sidehop on the drivechain side (to the right) but I also do it to the left, I'm practising that but I'm not as confident that way.

What do you mean by "is the bike worth it after all?"

Hmm, seems like from the poll results, it's 4 votes on bashring, and 4 votes on getting the bashplate grinded off.

Did you not grind the plate mounts off? :blink:

And yesss, ride 'til it dies. I'm just a bit protective of this bike as I just got it hah, and got told it's not easy to get another frame of the same kind...

I hardly ever go to bash, I avoid it at all/any costs. I sidehop on the drivechain side (to the right) but I also do it to the left, I'm practising that but I'm not as confident that way.

What do you mean by "is the bike worth it after all?"

You posted the other day saying is this bike worth the price im not sure? So i commented saying i thinks its worth it and i was just asking after you've had your first ride was it worth getting/worth the price? :L

Hmm, seems like from the poll results, it's 4 votes on bashring, and 4 votes on getting the bashplate grinded off.

WOW votes are certainly in favour for the bashring and for taking the bashplate off. Worried about grinding the mounts & dents though.

why not get a bashring and ditch the plate but keep the mounts?

Because, if I hit a single bash mount hard, it would slowly push the welds into the frame and eventually crack. First two bikes I had, I rode with bashplates, I rode my Czar without and got on fine (I used the bash ring if I ever needed to) and I became much smoother at riding.

Now, with this bike. I'm afraid to even hit the bashplate... :/

And Liam, it's wherever the guy from eBay lives haha, I'm jealous too. I really should have picked the bike up shouldn't I?!

I have his address though. ;)

Edited by OnzaKid