File This One With All The Other Stupid Topics...

Pashley26

So I lost my job and waited 3 weeks to sign on because I wasn't sure how quick I would get a job.

Went to the initial interview, and spoke to a generic patronizing willy who tried to explain the way the system worked. He took all my details for me and filled out all my forms and arranged a signing on every two weeks. I was told my claim would be back dated to the day I lost my job and I would receive payments within 5 days.

5 days go past and I don't get a payment, I wasn't sure so I waited until the 2 week appointment and asked then. 5 days pass and no payment, so I phone the help line. They said my details hadn't been entered correctly, it would be 5 days from now.

Another 5 days pass and I get a call from a woman who is illiterate and trying to explain that because I live with my girlfriend I have to go onto contribution benefits and explained it all so fast I couldn't understand a word of it. So I asked her to slow down because I had never had to claim any benefits before and what she was saying made no sense to me. She put me onto her line manager because she found me "hard work" who explained it all and was very good. Again, I am told payment will be seen within 5 days.

Another 5 days pass and still no payment, on the 5th day I started a new job and submitted my P45. I was told that this would cease my Jobseekers allowance as soon as I was noted to be paying tax and NI again and my tax code would be unaltered assuming I had no payments (I asked this initially when me getting a job ASAP was up in the air) made to me by JSA.

Stayed in that job for two weeks, I was paid cash for this work because they hadn't had time to give my P45 to the accountant.

I submitted my P45 from the job I lost to my NEW job at the Main Dealers on Thursday last week, they said it was all good and I'm ok to start.

Today in the post I get a new P45 in 3 parts today saying my Jobseekers has been stopped and that is was only valid for 1 week (when I should have been paid for almost 2 months) and that I have a new Tax Code. The forms are for my new employer to fill out and the new P45 is for them to submit. I DO NOT want them to know I was on Jobseekers because it was something they weren't happy about when I mentioned it in my interview. Something about extra hassle for accounting and payroll. I very carefully told them "I haven't received any payments from JSA" (which is true!)

My new tax code is 747T, which would mean I am on 50% tax according to my mum. (Who does the accounting for her own business)

What should I do? Phone HMRC or the Jobcenter? It's HMRC's fault for issuing the wrong code and it's Jobcenters fault for being incompetent. >_<

Anybody had this sort of problem before?

Edited by Pashley26

So I lost my job and waited 3 weeks to sign on because I wasn't sure how quick I would get a job.

Went to the initial interview, and spoke to a generic patronizing willy who tried to explain the way the system worked. He took all my details for me and filled out all my forms and arranged a signing on every two weeks. I was told my claim would be back dated to the day I lost my job and I would receive payments within 5 days.

5 days go past and I don't get a payment, I wasn't sure so I waited until the 2 week appointment and asked then. 5 days pass and no payment, so I phone the help line. They said my details hadn't been entered correctly, it would be 5 days from now.

Another 5 days pass and I get a call from a woman who is illiterate and trying to explain that because I live with my girlfriend I have to go onto contribution benefits and explained it all so fast I couldn't understand a word of it. So I asked her to slow down because I had never had to claim any benefits before and what she was saying made no sense to me. She put me onto her line manager because she found me "hard work" who explained it all and was very good. Again, I am told payment will be seen within 5 days.

Another 5 days pass and still no payment, on the 5th day I started a new job and submitted my P45. I was told that this would cease my Jobseekers allowance as soon as I was noted to be paying tax and NI again and my tax code would be unaltered assuming I had no payments (I asked this initially when me getting a job ASAP was up in the air) made to me by JSA.

Stayed in that job for two weeks, I was paid cash for this work because they hadn't had time to give my P45 to the accountant.

I submitted my P45 from the job I lost to my NEW job at the Main Dealers on Thursday last week, they said it was all good and I'm ok to start.

Today in the post I get a new P45 in 3 parts today saying my Jobseekers has been stopped and that is was only valid for 1 week (when I should have been paid for almost 2 months) and that I have a new Tax Code. The forms are for my new employer to fill out and the new P45 is for them to submit. I DO NOT want them to know I was on Jobseekers because it was something they weren't happy about when I mentioned it in my interview. Something about extra hassle for accounting and payroll. I very carefully told them "I haven't received any payments from JSA" (which is true!)

My new tax code is 747T, which would mean I am on 50% tax according to my mum. (Who does the accounting for her own business)

What should I do? Phone HMRC or the Jobcenter? It's HMRC's fault for issuing the wrong code and it's Jobcenters fault for being incompetent. >_<

Anybody had this sort of problem before?

747L is the standard tax code,there is as such no 50% tax code (if youve only got 1 job, a tax code of d0 or d1 is used if your second income falls entirely into the 40 or 50% tax bracket), but personally id wait to see what you get paid and what you get taxed, and go from there.

747T means youve got the standard tax allowance, but the T denotes youve got outstanding conditions on your code(i.e they havent reviewed all your information/youve got part of the year self employed etc).