Stripping A Frame

MonsieurMonkey

Personally I would just post it to a stripper as the cost would possibly be less than it would cost to buy the chemicals required.

i repeat my point - do not do this unless you are 100% certain that your frame will not be affected by this.

some chemicals and some stripping tanks CAN affect your frame depending on what sort of material it is.

that is part of the reason why a frame warranty is voided (quoting the manufactures there) and that is the reason i stripped my frame myself. the company im sending to needed to know the type of aluminium before they'd agree to strip it as there can be adverse reactions. it can even effect thier tank as well as the frame.

to quote you - "if you do your homework" - nitromors getting weak is down to the lack of the active ingredient 'dichloromethane'. this was banned in both paint strippers for consumers and proffessionals. this sparked off a petition as alternatives are not as good and have more adverse side effects (acid tanks now become more popular). being in the industry, i assume you knew all of that?

I worked in the bike industry for a few years,now a few years ago, we sent everything out to be chemically stripped and then bought an oven which baked the paint until it burnt off the frame, it left the frame clean and slightly dusty. Its wasnt just like a big bonfire it burns it with no flames this is what a lot of people do as there is no pollution as the chimney has an after burner to burn any toxins, well thats the idea.

You are 100% right with strippers but a good stripper wont want to damage your stuff so he should be able to advise you and be liable if he damages it

Why not call the manufacturer and seek advice?

You are 100% right with strippers but a good stripper wont want to damage your stuff so he should be able to advise you and be liable if he damages it

Why not call the manufacturer and seek advice?

since the recent ban of the chemical i mentioned, as of dec 2010 paint strippers all over have had to come up with new techniques and environmentally friendly chemicals that do the same job. (all trying to match the qualities of the old dichlo...etc). these newer chemicals may not bode well with your frame

'he' is orange mountain bikes...they do all their painting themselves. it was the guy who does the custom paint jobs who was asking specifically what sort of aluminium my frame was so that it didnt react with their acid tank and potentially damage it or my frame

for them to attempt to strip it - i would have had to sign a wavor to accept responsibility if anything went wrong, thats why i did it myself

inspired (the manufacturer of the frame and forks) told me that any changes in the look of the frame (like a repaint etc) would void the warranty as they have no control over the standards of how it is stripped etc

so - thats a bike company who deal with stripping and repainting only bike frames saying they are not 100% sure nothing will go wrong AND a bike company who painted it in the first place stating they are not 100% confident in the processes used to strip/repaint

to me, that suggests, that no matter how 'good' a proffesional stripper is, you cant be too careful. thats why im recommending the guy to only send it away it if they are 100% sure it will be fine

*edit - what sort of temperatures were used in the oven? not sure id feel comfortable with that on a frame that takes much more abuse than your regular type

Edited by chris4stars

Some good points, looks like no one wants to risk it.

The ovens I had dealings with stripped all kinds of frames, including from memory ally, ally melts at 660C, the oven ran at about 500C. We did all different qualitys of frame from cheap to Titanium.

Details here

http://www.pcpconline.com/wheres_the_fire.html

Some good points, looks like no one wants to risk it.

The ovens I had dealings with stripped all kinds of frames, including from memory ally, ally melts at 660C, the oven ran at about 480C. We did all different qualitys of frame from cheap to Titanium.

Details here

http://www.pcpconline.com/wheres_the_fire.html

Just thought we did check the alignment before any frame was painted so if it did distort it would be corrected, but I doubt any shops etc would have the equipment to do this

Or you could just buy one

http://www.pipe-bender-1.com/bicycle-frame-assembling-processing/07.htm