Stripping A Frame

MonsieurMonkey

Tried searching but couldn't find anything. So sorry if this has been posted before.

Anyway, I'm gonna raw the zoot, I believe its anodized so I need to use caustic soda. If all is correct up to now how do I do that. Do I scrub with the soda mix? Do I apply and leave? Or do I soak?

I've read that it rapes frames as well. Is that so?

Cheers to anyone that helps.

if it's anodised then yeah, caustic soda is the one to go for.

Add the caustic soda to some warm/hot water (the hotter the water, the more powerful it is). I think a toothbrush works well for frames and doesn't melt like paint brushes do. try scrubbing a bit of the frame first, leave it on then wipe off with cold water, this will give you an idea how fast it will work, then go from there really. The frame will look pretty dark at first, but if you wipe it down afterwards and maybe use some autosol that will get it up to a shinier finish.

Yeah, you apply it and leave for 5 mins or so. Should start to see a reaction.

The fumes are pretty horrific too, and it burns like f**k. Wear as much protection as possible.

Oh and keep it away from your headset area and BB threads as this happens...

2011-02-22203540.jpg

I ruined my frame doing it as it destroyed the headtube and couldn't fit any headsets in there.

I think I should have used nitromorse as I think my Onza t-pro was the painted version NOT the annodised one.

• Like 1

Probably your best bet. Do a google search about nitromorse though as there are two versions. one with a green top and one with a red top. i cant remember which is which but the newer one is really weak and has as much stripping power as an old guy farting (due to some health and safety bollocks) so if.you can get your hands onto the older stuff you'll be onto a wiener.

http://www.stationary-engine.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23805

• Like 1