Stripping A Frame

MonsieurMonkey

i've stripped a few things with coustic and the results varied each time, some items took only a few seconds before the anodizing was completely dissolved, other things like a middleburn bash ring took a lot longer in a much more concentrated mix,

it all depends on the quality of the anidizing, i have a feeling that your onza has a very dense coating, if this is the case then it will need to be exposed to a higher consentrated mix for a longer period, dipping the whole frame would be the best way instead of brushing it on but obviously that would require a large amount of coustic and the fumes that it would give off would most likely kill you if you where to under go this method in your bathroom without any safety gear.

hope that helps.

ez.

Edited by ezgonzo

Please wear gloves and goggles, this stuff is really toxic and will burn you.

Caustic causes the skin to defat, basically it turns your skin in to soap.

Have you not tried a local furniture strippers or Chrome platers? these should be able to do it for a few quid.

Nitromorse the one you nuterlise with Meths not water is the best.

Some finishes are very resistant and can take a few goes

This is what the bike factorys use to strip and badly painted frames etc

http://www.pcpconline.com/

Oh have a look here before you mess with chemicals at home

http://www.kenwoodward.co.uk/

• 2 weeks later...

I'm about half way through doing this, except it seems to take loads of coats and crazy scrubbing.

I've done about 10 coats or something now, and I'm using wire wool to get the paint right off, then washing the mess off. Am I doing it right?

With the correct stuff it should come off first time, you have to be carefull using wire wool as you can get electrolitic reaction between the metals causing staining and corrosion, I would use a scotchbrite pad or pan scrubber.

leave a decent coat of nitromors on for a good half hour or so - so alot thicker than just painted on

before using a scotch pad (which is alot better btw) use a sharp knife and gently peel the paint off as you would the skin of a veg of some sort

do this until it almost gets down to the metalwork itself then use a credit card or something plastic/bendable/stiff to scrap the paint off without damaging the frame

after that then use the scotch pad - with the new nitromors, you'll be there for literally days on end doing the whole thing with a pad

leave a decent coat of nitromors on for a good half hour or so - so alot thicker than just painted on

before using a scotch pad (which is alot better btw) use a sharp knife and gently peel the paint off as you would the skin of a veg of some sort

do this until it almost gets down to the metalwork itself then use a credit card or something plastic/bendable/stiff to scrap the paint off without damaging the frame

after that then use the scotch pad - with the new nitromors, you'll be there for literally days on end doing the whole thing with a pad

I still think the stuff you are using is too weak or not correct for the stuff on the frame.

Any Chrome platers near you? they usually have a stripping tank and could remove it in afew hours

I still think the stuff you are using is too weak or not correct for the stuff on the frame.

Any Chrome platers near you? they usually have a stripping tank and could remove it in afew hours

im sorry, the stuff i used is the right stuff for the frame. (see the inspired skye post in bike pictures section) - piperfraz, i have listened to advice given to me (by more experienced members) and have been stripping my frame over the last week and the pics suggest i have an idea of what to do

the 'old' nitromors contained the recently banned chemical that actually made it work well. the new stuff is rubbish and does barely anything.

dont take your frame to any stripping tank unless you are 100% sure that the chemical they use wont react to the frame material. some use acid, others use a nitromors based chemical (its partly why frame warrantys are voided when the bike is repainted)

Edited by chris4stars

I'm about half way through doing this, except it seems to take loads of coats and crazy scrubbing.

I've done about 10 coats or something now, and I'm using wire wool to get the paint right off, then washing the mess off. Am I doing it right?

I did 1 coat on my frame a worked very well. Came off straight away. But in the fiddly bits it took a lot of scrubbing.

It might be correct for the frame but it also needs to be the correct stuff for the coating applied to the frame

Nitromors is possibly only available to professional strippers and no longer thought suitable for DIY use due to increased health and safety not just for the user but the environment

It might be correct for the frame but it also needs to be the correct stuff for the coating applied to the frame

Nitromors is possibly only available to professional strippers and no longer thought suitable for DIY use due to increased health and safety not just for the user but the environment

Do you ever read an entire thread, to check that what you're posting isn't complete bollocks?

Nitromors has changed, an active ingredient has been removed. Luckily, you can still get the old stuff sometimes.

Dunno what a professional stripper would do with it anyway, it totally burns the skin and they have more on show. Suppose it could be a fetish thing...

• Like 1

Do you ever read an entire thread, to check that what you're posting isn't complete bollocks?

Well thats very friendly of you isnt it

Nitromors has changed, an active ingredient has been removed. Luckily, you can still get the old stuff sometimes.

If you bother to do your homework you will find that Nitromors started to sell a new water neutralised stripper along side the meths neutralised one, then slowly removed the meths one and only made it available to commercial strippers

Dunno what a professional stripper would do with it anyway, it totally burns the skin and they have more on show. Suppose it could be a fetish thing...

professionals who do this either use enclosed tanks

Like this

http://www.surfaceprocessing.co.uk/for-industry.html

Or wear full protective equipment as a last resort.

Nitromors is not the strongest compared to industrial strippers.

I think the issue here is we are tryig to help some one who is having problems stripping a coating from a frame, in my experiance its far better to let a commercial stripper do this as they have access to far stronger chemicals and have the relavant experiance to strip it with out damage.

All over the counter chemicals have been replaced or removed over the last few years due to increased health and safety. As I work in industry I know this for a fact where as your average man in the street just sees products dissapearing from the shelves.

Personally I would just post it to a stripper as the cost would possibly be less than it would cost to buy the chemicals required.

W had to get a few thousand frames stripped before we bought a machine to do it and we paid less than £1 each as they will fit on the conveyor system with other bits they are doing.

• Like 1

im sorry, the stuff i used is the right stuff for the frame. (see the inspired skye post in bike pictures section) - piperfraz, i have listened to advice given to me (by more experienced members) and have been stripping my frame over the last week and the pics suggest i have an idea of what to do

the 'old' nitromors contained the recently banned chemical that actually made it work well. the new stuff is rubbish and does barely anything.

dont take your frame to any stripping tank unless you are 100% sure that the chemical they use wont react to the frame material. some use acid, others use a nitromors based chemical (its partly why frame warrantys are voided when the bike is repainted)

Ah great, that really helped cheers.

I did 1 coat on my frame a worked very well. Came off straight away. But in the fiddly bits it took a lot of scrubbing.

Lucky f**k! It's taken me ages but I'm getting there. Your bikes looking pimp btw! (Y)