What Is A Good Bike To Learn On

GeorgeHB

Hi, Only just discovered my obsession with bikes a year ago when i started riding trail centres and downhill and that.

Now i've gotten much better on dirt but want to get some street skills under my belt and i don't think my 15kg DH hardtails really up to the job much.

Sooo I've been trying to decide what bike to get, and with no clue what i want it's not been easy. I know that i want a trials bike over a full on street bike because that's the style of riding i want to improve at,

but which one. The biggest battle I'm having at the moment is with wheel size. My heart says 24" but from what i hear 20" is better to learn on.

Someone put me in my place once and for all and give me some good advice, please?

I only have about £300 to spend though looking around that will get me a pretty good 20" bike.

Thank you,

George

The whole, 20 is easier to learn on is a myth as far as I'm concerned. Get what you want to ride, and learn the way you want to ride. Why get a mod when you say your heart is set on a 24"? And if you get a mod, then want to change to 24 you've got all that hassle to deal with.

It's true, selling bikes is horrible. Right then now the difficult task of finding a 24" on budget. Bursary through at some point should help...

If you have a background or have had experience with mountain bikes go with a 26". It is what you will be accomplished and familliar with. Even though it doesnt really matter, I'd say start with a wheel size that you have ridden before and if you feel like a change once you get the basics down then think about the change. obviously people will say start on 20, start on 26 because it's what they ride and like. There isn't a 'set in stone' route you should take to start, just go with what you are familliar with.

EDIT: Yer,theres 24 too which will feel similar to 26 if you want to do the rolling spinny street stuff :)

Edited by max-t