Edinburgh Folk

Matthew62

To all those who live in, or are knowledgable regarding all things Edinburgh I could do with some advice...

I need to be getting my ass up there the weekend after next and as of yet have not found a property. Time is getting a bit short, and it seems the ideal Stockbridge place may take a little more time to pin down so I just need to get somewhere for 6 months so that i'm there and not continuously try and look at properties from London.

I've found a fairly nice looking place on Craighall Road, Trinity way and I just wanted to see what the general vibe was like? I like that you get sea views from the flat, but i'm conscious its not far from Leith, and that ain't really somewhere I'm overly fond of.

So those in the know, what do you reckon it's like as a place to live for a little while?

In what respect do you mean about not wanting to spend your life there? Anywhere for now is for 6 months to a year. And then maybe more if I like it. I don't seem to spend too long in any one place so there are certainly no life pans being made. Good to hear its got a nice feel to it though!

Cool, thanks for the info bud.

The viewing is for the 2 bed. My girlfriend is viewing it at 11 with the view to say yes, so i shall pass on the info to her, which i know she'll be pleased at.

I see what you mean about living away from everything. I'm relatively sure i'll end up that way, as most people generate hate in me so I quite like the idea of living miles from anyone. However Edinburgh is going to feel like a ghost town in comparison to the last few years living in London, so I think i'll still feel a slightly village vibe to the whole city.

Thanks again for the info!

I think the Mini should definitely take priority! ;)

The only bummer with the flat is that it's furnished to an extent but is certainly forgivable as everything seems to be at a really good standard.

Yeah, I didn't quite mean ghost town. I meant more in the sense that my current home whilst only really being about 10 miles square contains 8 million people, whereas Edinburgh (of course smaller) is around, what....500,000? It's a pretty good swap as far as i'm concerned. I was there for the week at the beginning of the month and it certainly (for me) had a relaxed feeling. Yeah, i'm learning that about the West. I like this history of the place and how it can feel quite unspoiled. I guess it helps that it wasn't bombed to hell like London, but it's a shame just how mottled it is here with crappy estates in nice areas due to the bombing. Also it's a case of even in a shitty area 2 bed flats are now going for a minimum of £1200 a month and that's with an exceptionally poor finish.

My mum was born in Edinburgh and my family originates from there, and although no one lives there now, it's always had a strange sense of home for me.

One area I wasn't keen on despite people saying was quite nice, was Morningside. I had a look around the area and didn't like it at all. What's your opinion of the area?

Just saw this thread...As I've always lived in Edinburgh I feel I need to say that Edinburgh is great!

It definitely has a 'village' feeling about it. Everything is so close if you get a flat near the centre even if you get something in Trinity. Stockbridge is great as well it's almost a village in the city.

Public transport is awesome as well.

Yeah, i'm looking forward to getting up there. The place by the sea in Newhaven didn't happen as my girlfriend hated it with a passion. From the photos she took, I can see why.

Almost took a place in Stockbridge, but in the end found an awesome, big ol' place unfurnished in Morningside, so am hopefully going to be moving in to that at the beginning of the new year. Can't wait to see what the city has to offer.