Sprockets For A Fixie

Luke Rainbird

Evening chaps,

The old man is looking to convert his old Campag Record rear wheel to use on a fixie, which means single sprocket and a lockring of course.

There's 8.25mm of usable thread there, lockring takes up just shy of 3mm, so I'm trying to find a 16t sprocket with a base of under 6mm. Are there any about? Preferably 3/32".

If not, I'll probably just grab something close and machine it down a tad, but if I can just buy one to fit straight on it'd be a winner.

Honest answer to that is I don't know, though I assume not. I assume the difference is spacing?

It's much like these;

Like I said, if I can't find one the right width I'll modify one to work, but if I can track one down that's the right size it'd be rather pleasant :)

They are not track hubs. If you google imaged track hubs you can see that there are 2 separate threads on the hub, one for the screw on cog which screws clockwise to tighten up, then a second set of threads for the lockring that screws counter clockwise to tighten up.

On the hubs your dad has, the lockring won't even fit as the lockring is smaller in diameter. So my answer is you won't be able to turn that into a fixed drive. Even if you find a lockring that fits on there, both the cog and lockring will just unscrew itself when you try to brake.

You could weld the cog on... but that's a waste. The easier way in my opinion is just get a cheap track hub and rebuild the wheel!

EDIT: And yes, most track hubs are 120mm spacing (I'm guessing your dads hubs are 135mm?), though 135mm track hubs exist. But the majority are 120mm. You could also get a 120mm track hub and add some spacers to space it to 135mm.

Edited by weirdoku